title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

weird uninstall thing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • number6

• Sep 2005

weird uninstall thing

hi all--

first a little background--

i downloaded the dbpoweramp converter to try a quick conversion of bitrate for a few mp3 files that i had.

after using it, i sucessfully uninstalled it.

a few days later, i was having problems with my browser, it was hanging up. i run win xp pro sp 2, so i just went to system restore and went back a few days. bingo. browser problem solved.

dbpoweramp came back though.

i tried to uninstall using control panel > add/remove prog, and that claimed a sucessful uninstall.

no. the icons are still on my desktop, and start menu. the program still works as well.

i then tried an uninstall from the start menu--it also said "sucessful uninstall," and it too lied...

i found a procedure on this forum for removing the illustrate folder from c>program files, followed by some regedit tweaking. i tried to remove the folder from c>program files, but i get "cannot delete dbShell: access denied. make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use"

what do i do now? any help will be appreciated.

thanks.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

Re: weird uninstall thing

Try reinstalling dMC, tell it to NOT uninstall the current version. Then, go into dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dbPowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuratoin --> dMC Configuration) and unchecking all options for explorer integration. Then try uninstalling the program again. Then, if it still doesn't work, do the manual uninstall by deleting the program files folder and the registry illustrate folder.

It looks like the problem is that you still have the Explorer integration turned on, therefore it cannot delete that dll file.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Or just install it, then uninstall it.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• number6

• Sep 2005

thanks lt data, i have now regained control of my tags!!

hiya spoon, i may go ahead and do as you suggest rather than take my chances in the registry

take care, both of you

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Are you signed in as an admin as well? It might help.

Comment

• number6

• Sep 2005

hi christina

yeah, i'm always signed in as admin on this system...

i got it all taken care of now, i did data's procedure first, and followed up with spoon's advice--all gone now!!

it isn't that i totally hate dbpoweramp or anything. i produce a lot of music in cubase and i was too lazy one day to actually fire up my daw to do some bitrate reductions, so on advice of a colleague i tried out dbpoweramp.

i can do all my conversions in cubase though, using the fraunhofer codec...

anyways, thanks for checkin' in, and take care

Comment

Working...

]]>