title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

trial expired, can't open codec

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kelly l

• Sep 2005

trial expired, can't open codec

i'd used the converter to go from wma files to mp3 now i get the message that the trial has expired i'm not interested in anything else so i click "ok" it starts converting (for, like, less than one second) and then I get "The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Documents and Settings\lisa stansfield.mp3' could not be opened." i had downloaded and been using the wma 9.1 codec
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

Re: trial expired, can't open codec

After you trial expires, you can no longer encode to mp3. To encode to mp3, you have to purchase the "MP3 Encoder and PowerPack" $14 pack.

You can still DEcode mp3, just not the other way 'round.
    Last edited by LtData; September 28, 2005, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru

• Dec 2004

Master

Of

The

Obvious

If it says the trial is expired,....well.....It's expired!

The reason why there is a trial in v11 is because of new MP3 encoding license restrictions placed on all commercial products that can encode to mp3. For more info.....Oh wait, that's wierd, Google's not working.....:confused:

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

I think he's asking this question because he wasn't aware the mp3 encoder was on a trial-basis, neil.

And this is explained in the dMC help files.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Sep 2005

so take the easy way out... use the generic CLI plugin and setup lame.exe with it. encode to mp3 that way. Not only do you get better control over the quality, but there is no trial period

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Better control? How so?

In my opinion, if you want better control just don't use presets.

If you want to save that bit of money, ok, use the CLI. But you'd be missing out on all the best features that dBpowerAMP has to offer, not just the mp3 encoder, but the whole PowerPack.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

Agreed, Christina.
              The trial covers SO much more than just the mp3 encoder, it covers the PowerPack. For a (slightly-outdated) list of PowerPack features, see this post here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=2701
              Some of the notable PowerPack features are:
              Rip to RAM and "Rip & Encode at the same time" for ripping CDs, which greatly speeds up the process
              DSP effects that enable you to trim songs, use a "voice remover", and lots of other effects.
              WMA VBR 2-pass to give you better VBR WMA files, as the first pass determines the best bitrate, the second pass is the encoding part

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru

• Dec 2004

Shouldn't someone prevent the use of the CLi codec? I mean, if we use Lame encoding that way using CLI, then what's the point of paying Spoon? Just a question of curiosity.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

But some people want to use the LAME.exe to use presets that dMC doesn't support itself. But even if we prevent that, they could just use the LAME.exe in the "Generic CLI Encoder".

Comment

Working...

]]>