title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cant rip files? Help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Cant rip files? Help!

Can i record at better quality if play straight from the CD rather then from the licenced 128kb wma's...i dont see the quality when the CD software plays??
    If you play the cd on a regular cd player it should be at a higher quality than your WMA 128 kbs. copies. So you can record to a higher quality. If you normally rip cd's to wma at 128 kbs, or to mp3 at 128 kbs (maybe even to 160 kbs), then the wma 128 kbs should be fine. The larger drawback is that these wma files are encrypted.

Try going Start>My Computer. Right-click on your drive with the cd in it. Click on explore. Browse the folder structure until you find the cda files. Try selecting those, right-clicking and choosing Convert To (which will call up dMC) and try proceeding from there. If you don't see the cda files, what do you see?

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• Paradigm
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by xoas
      If you don't see the cda files, what do you see?

Best wishes,
      Bill
      I dont see anything i recognize? The DC contains 6 folder directories (Eula, HtML, Metadata, resources, sc, startapp) The main root also contains licgen, autorun, playdisc, wmds, and wmds.dll

I looked throught the folders for and music...didnt see it? i searched for cda...no luck

p

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Try p[laying the cd on your computer, then see if Audio CD Input will identify your tracks after that.
        (Tip from ChristinaS. here:
        http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showpost...32&postcount=4)

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• Paradigm
          • Sep 2005

Try playing the cd on your computer, then see if Audio CD Input will identify your tracks after that.

Best wishes,
          Bill

I cant play this stupid with anything on my computer except the software that opens with it! Eveything else plays with skips...even with the shift key and just playing disc. I guess i have to use the aux input record!

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

From the same thread have you tried this tip from LtData for playing the cd in WinAmp/WMP:
            As for getting winamp to play the CD, try right-clicking on the main Winamp window, going to Play, then selecting "Audio CD" and your correct drive. This is one way to play mixed-mode CDs in Winamp. This should also work for like Windows Media Player.
            Best wishes,
            Bill

Comment

• Paradigm
              • Sep 2005

even when i try with the shift and just opening disc through players...i get skips.
              For the black marker trick...i dont see any track rings to gauge distance? I tried a bunch of depths for the marker...no luck!

Comment

• Paradigm
                • Sep 2005

However...the marker trick has stopped the software boot...and i can se the .cda files. but each track is only showing up as 1 kb

Comment

• Paradigm
                  • Sep 2005

now that the cda's were visible..i tried to use the convert...no luck...it converts but the file it makes has the skips! LOL guess i cant beat this thing! :headbang:

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

You will never see .cda files any bigger than that because in fact they are only pointers to the area on the disk where the true data (a wav) is located.

There's no use copying .cda files to the HD either, as you're only copying the pointers.

When you have the cd opened in dMC Audio CD Input, you can try to play individual tracks. Does it skip?

What are you converting to? Try ripping to wav (uncompressed, pcm, 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stareo) instead.

Any skips?

Then you convert the wav files to whatever format you like.

Comment

• Paradigm
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS

When you have the cd opened in dMC Audio CD Input, you can try to play individual tracks. Does it skip?

What are you converting to? Try ripping to wav (uncompressed, pcm, 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stareo) instead.

Any skips?

anything i play the cda's with skips...that seems to be where the problem is...the only way to play the cd on my pc is with the software that loads with it. When you convert the cda's...you get the same skips as when it just plays. Any idea if theres a new codec or smething to play the cd?

Comment

• xoas
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2002

I take it other cd's play fine on this drive.
                        What programs have you tried for playing this cd?
                        If you have two drives, have you checked to see if the cd produces skips when being played on both drives?

Any idea if theres a new codec or smething to play the cd?
                        This is not a codec-related problem.
                        Last edited by xoas; 09-27-2005, 10:36 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

This is not a codec-related problem
                          I think by now we (should) have realized that the problem is that the CD is copy-protected.

Comment

• Paradigm
                            • Sep 2005

I take it other cd's play fine on this drive.
                            What programs have you tried for playing this cd?
                            If you have two drives, have you checked to see if the cd produces skips when being played on both drives?

This is not a codec-related problem.
                            LOL about the codec!

All other, mostly older Cds have played fine on my drive! I have a second drive...but it is not connected right now...(need a power molex) I will try...but that drive is older then my current one (doubt that is the problem!)

i have tried to play this Cd with, ahem, Jet audio, WMP, dMC, Phatnoise Media Suite, and MusikMatch. All have similar skip issue for playing...if they can play at all. FYI - I have played in car player fine.

i have tried to rip with, ahem, dMC CD input, phatnoise, WMP, audiograbber, HiMD renderer, and Jet audio. Again...if any did rip...same skipping pattern as play issues!

Appears to have a copyright issue! the software that boots with the CD allowed me to rip as WMA at 128 kb, with licence attached. I ultimatley used these to play and record with aux input!

If anybody would like this Pain the Butt CD...i "believe" it can now be found on undernet in the mp3 rooms! LOL :teufel8:

Thanx for the tireless support here moderators! Good luck with future issues...its getting tougher! Ill let you know if i find anything else with this issue or my other drive.

Paradigmrg

Comment

• ChristinaS
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2004

Well, if your cd only plays on your pc using its own software, you could then have recorded it to wav or other lossless format using dmC Auxiliary Input that way, not just from the wma files.

Did you ever disable autoplay in your drive?

Comment

• Wayne
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Aug 2002

I have read that some company's produce audio CDs that contain deliberate errors. These do not cause a problem with ordinary audio CD players because of the error correction that takes place in the player. However these error can cause real problems with PC CD/DVD drives, especially when attempting to copy them.

I wonder if it is one of these types of CD. The software supplied on the CD most likely allows for the errors and so plays without skips.

Wayne

Comment

Working...

]]>