title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

iTunes 5.0 + QuickTime 7.0 breaks QuickTime m4a (CLI) encoder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • press250
    • Dec 2004

iTunes 5.0 + QuickTime 7.0 breaks QuickTime m4a (CLI) encoder

Argh, Apple is doing a good job of turning into Microsoft. ;-) I just installed iTunes 5.0, which forces an installation of QuickTime 7.0. A nice warning appears to inform you that installing QuickTime 7.0 will require you to re-purchase QuickTime Pro (huh?). I could not find a way to install the new iTunes but skip the new QuickTime. OK, time is money I said to myself, and I installed iTunes 5.0 + QuickTime 7.0 and then re-purchased QuickTime Pro.

Unfortunately, the QuickTime m4a (CLI) encoder no longer works. I followed the directions to re-setup the QuickTime export preferences and launched dMC File Selector. It generates the ~temp.wav file and invokes QuickTime just fine -- QuickTime appears with ~temp in the title bar ... but nothing happens after that point.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    press250.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: iTunes 5.0 + QuickTime 7.0 breaks QuickTime m4a (CLI) encoder

The way you interface with the encoder probably changed. From what I've picked up from Spoon, it'll take a little while for people to figure out what changed and fix it. The same problem happened with iTunes 5 and ALAC. If only Apple would actually release half-way decent documentation, we may not hate QuickTime and iTunes.

Comment

• atldeadhead
      • Sep 2005

I was gonna install iTunes 5.0 myself until I was presented with the same problem. I *just* bought the pro license about 2 months ago. I don't want to have to shell out another $30.00 :blush:

I was looking around codec central and I noticed the .aac codecs including the .aac itunes encoder.

I'd just as soon use these rather than pay another $30.00 for a quicktime pro license.

My question is can I use this itunes encoder codec in conjunction with the m4a, mp4 and Apple Lossless Codec and acheive the same results as using the quicktime encoder?

Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You will have to try the dbpoweramp iTunes encoder, it should work as it interfaces propperly with itunes, I also have a new quicktime encoder for v7, I am sort of guilty of sitting on it due to serious lack of time, I will push to put it into beta now.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• atldeadhead
          • Sep 2005

Thanks for the quick reply Spoon.

While waiting for a reply I installed the codecs I mentioned on my work computer where I've also installed itunes 5.0. I tried a conversion and Indeed the codecs seem to work nicely. I'll have to try it on my home machine later this evening.

Great news also on the quicktime v7 encoder. I think it's safe to say that I can avoid having to upgrade my quicktime pro license since these other options appear to work just fine.

Thanks.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Now in beta, please provide feedback on how it works: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...newpost&t=8811

Comment

Working...

]]>