title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

mp2 -> ogg really slow

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tahir

• Sep 2005

mp2 -> ogg really slow

I've just downloaded dMC to convert my mp2 audio files to ogg, but it seems to run really slow, I'm getting 0.84 x real time on a Celeron 1.1Mhz with 512MB RAM.

Any ideas?
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2002

Re: mp2 -> ogg really slow

Most likely this is due to the Ogg codec, which is among the slower. Your encoding settings may also effecy your ripping time.
    You can confirm this by doing a test conversion which will tell you how long it takes for dMC to read your mp2 file. You do a test conversion by opening your mp2 file in dMC and in the dMC window at the top where you coose your codec (such as Ogg), choose Test Conversion. Test conversion should be very fast (I just did a sample run on an mp3 file and it test converted at 80x real time, an Ogg file converted in 66x real time, and a musepack file converted in 57x real time). If your test conversion is significantly slower than 50x, you might try the latest beta version of dMC here:
    A huge update for dMC, now is final release (out of beta), will be posted on main website in 1 weeks time, download: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/bin/dMC-r11.5.exe 2.1MB ================================================ Highlights: mp3 decoder huge update: freeform mp3 files, mp2+mp1 files, lame tag reading mp3 lame

But what I think you will reallly want to try is either of the Ogg AoTuV codecs available from Codec Central here:

Either works on my 1.3 mHz Celeron processor. Both are much faster than the standard Ogg codec (a musepack file converted to Ogg with the standard Ogg codec converted at 2.6x real time, the aoTuV b3 codec converted the same file at 5x real time and the aoTuV SSE codec converted at 8x real time-in all cases these conversions were to quality level 7, lower quality/higher compression would take longer).

Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>