title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

SMIL file; not working

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBabyKiki
    • Sep 2005

SMIL file; not working

Hey, I am needing some big help... I've read most of the stuff posted about a SMIL file and I proceeded to download the dbpowerAMP Music Converter. I saved the files I wanted to burn by the Save Target As and also into a playlist and when I select the files to convert, this box comes up with a Error While Converting title and has the files I selected and says could not open. What am I doing wrong? I've tried the Input thing where you record while playing it though Real Player or Windows Media but one, it takes forever and if I had the time to sit in front of my computer and listen to it I would, and two it picks up every little noise even the stuff going on in my house. I would really love to just convert the stupid files and burn them, is this possible??? Please help.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: SMIL file; not working

Have you downloaded the actual files that are pointed to in the SMIL file?

At most you can convert those individual files, and only if they are located on your own computer.

As SMIL file can point to many different file types, you also must have the decoding codecs for all those file types.

If you cannot download the individual files given in the SMIL files, then the only option is indeed dMC Auxiliary Input.

Yes, dM Auxiliary Input works in real time. It's even worse than real time if you factor in the learning curve You have to follow all instructions carefully as pertains selection of inout source, volume control and all that. Incidentally the only way it will pickup house noise is if your mic is 1) connected 2) enabled as and input source Otherwise make sure you disable sources of extraneous sounds like messanger chimes, outlook express incoming mail chimes and browser clicking sounds.

Comment

• JBabyKiki
      • Sep 2005

I got it to work!!!!! I did a little ying and yang and it worked!!!!!! I'm so excited I burned it onto a CD and even checked it my car and it worked!
      After I did the Save Target As it saved it as a SMIL file. I opened Windows Media Player and opened to be played and then saved it and it will automatically save it as an MP3 file, then I had to open the dBpowerAMP Music Converter and selected that file and converted to a WAV file and then burned it onto a CD. I hope this works for someone else, but it definitely worked for me and I'm so excited, can't you tell! ChristinaS let me know what you think.

jbabykiki

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Huh? This is unusual to say the least.

The SMIL ought to be just a text file.

Could you provide a link to the original file on the web you wanted to download and which ended up as a SMIL on your pc? I'm curious to see what kind of animal that is. It dosen't sound like any SMIL I know.

Comment

• JBabyKiki
          • Sep 2005

Well, all I know is that when I right-clicked on the file and clicked Save Target As, it saved as a smil file, and if my internet wasn't connected it woundn't work. And when I would click properties it would say SMIL file.
          I just looked again now and it says File type SMIL File Extention m3u. So, I don't know, but it worked so I was still excited. Now I just have to read and read you guy's posts on another similiar subject and figure out how to get another type of file to download a... smf file. The kind where it only show like a little box that has a Play, Pause, and Stop signs. and that's it. I opened it up in word pad and when I type the file into the address box it just gives me a HUGE version of the play, stop, and pause boxes. So, I'm at a lost on what to do.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Open this file in Notepad and see what is inside. Copy and paste the contents here and we'll see what's what.

If the file is really an m3u, then it's an mp3 playlist.

Inside you will find the name of another file, most probably an mp3 file. That is the file you must download and save and convert.

If the mp3 file does not have a full address given (like http://... ), then you must paste here also the address of that m3u file you downloaded, since that would give the proper path to the mp3 file.
            Last edited by ChristinaS; September 08, 2005, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• JBabyKiki
              • Sep 2005

This is the one that I can't get to work...
              <p><strong><font color="#000000" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Press Play to Listen:
              <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="84" height="22">
              <param name="movie" value="audio/20050721leadership.swf">
              <param name="quality" value="high">
              <embed src="audio/20050721leadership.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="84" height="22"></embed>

and when I type the website address and /audio/20050721leadership.swf all it does it bring up the picture of the play, stop, and pause buttons, just really large. I can't right click and get anything useful, nothing!!!!

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by JBabyKiki
                https://www.danijohnson.com/assets/m...l-11-15-04.m3u

This is the one that I can't get to work...
                <p><strong><font color="#000000" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Press Play to Listen:
                <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="84" height="22">
                <param name="movie" value="audio/20050721leadership.swf">
                <param name="quality" value="high">
                <embed src="audio/20050721leadership.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="84" height="22"></embed>

and when I type the website address and /audio/20050721leadership.swf all it does it bring up the picture of the play, stop, and pause buttons, just really large. I can't right click and get anything useful, nothing!!!!
                Ok, I don't know where you got all that stuff from LOL! That's not anything to do with the m3u file we're talking about. :D

I saved the m3u file by right clicking that first link you posted and saving it to my pc.

The m3u file contains just one line:

So now right click this link, and Save target as and give it a name with the mp3 extension. It is 6.85MB so be prepared for a longish download unless you're on broadband.

It should get saved to yoour pc and then you can do whatever you want with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The other stuff you have there is a flash file - if you want to download that one you need to post here the full link to the .swf file, complete with the website address:

So you can right click it and save it to your pc.

But a flash presentstion is not something you can convert to an audio file by using a codec. You need to use dMC Auxiliary Input and record the audio as the flash player plays it though your soundcard.

If you don't have a flash player installed, you'll need to get the flash player too. I think that would be from www.macromedia.com .
                Last edited by ChristinaS; September 08, 2005, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>