title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

mp3 codec choice problems...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daviduk
    • Sep 2005

mp3 codec choice problems...

Hi,

I hav been using DBPA music convertor for a few years now, and i can use it quite well. I am trying to put 110 files onto my PSP, which are currently 426MB. I only have a 512mb memory stick and i want to put a few vids on there as well which are about 150-200mb. I have tried encoding my mp3's into loads of codecs found in codec central, but they all seem to make the overall size a bit bigger than the original 110 files (these are mp3's at 128 bitrate). I would like to keep near CD-quality sound while making the mp3's around 300-350mb. I have even tried Sonys ATRAC3 format, but that doesnt seem to work either. Can you guys help me out here?? I would like to preserve ID3 tags.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: mp3 codec choice problems...

Most people don't get CD quality from 128kbps mp3s. However, each person determines for themselves what bitrates are acceptable to them. As to getting smaller files that sound the same but are smaller, you should stick with 128kbps mp3s.
    However, this also calls into question the audio quality of the PSP. Mabye try some 96kbps mp3s and see if they sound the same, or at least not worse, than the 128kbps mp3s.
    And avoid the ATRAC3 at all costs. You can convert TO it easily, but converting FROM it is a nightmare.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Re: mp3 codec choice problems...

If your PSP supports the Windows Media format, convert to wma at 64kbps and it will be about equivalent in quality to mp3 at 128kbps, but only half the size.

You can save again neay half the space also by converting to any format in joint-stereo rather than 2-channel stereo.

Comment

Working...

]]>