title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

.aiff codec "cant be opened"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mucklechumps
    • Aug 2005

.aiff codec "cant be opened"

Hi. I purchased dbpoweramp and sveta. I have a cd that has .wav files and I'm trying to convert to .aiff. I downloaded the codec and when I "convert to" a box pops up saying the codec cant be opened.
    I've tried restarting my computer and I made sure the codec is in the dbpoweramp folder.
    Any ideas?

Thanks! James
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: .aiff codec "cant be opened"

If those files are on a cd, is it an audio cd? then it's not wav files really but rather .cda (which are pointers to .wav at 16-bits, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo that make up the tracks themselevs).

If it's a data cd containing .wav files, then they may well be some kind of compressed .wav requiring special codecs.

Did you try a test Conversion (no write) first? It's possible the message refers to the codec required to read the .wav files. Not all .wav files are the same, there are a lot of different .wav codecs. What pop-up information do you have for those wav files anyway?

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

In addition to Christina's suggestions, if you can test convert these wav files, open up dMC Configuration (Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dBpowerAMP Music Converter Configuration to see if the AIFF codec is listed among your installed Read and (especially) Write Codecs. If it is not, the implication would be that the codec is not installed correctly.

Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

• mucklechumps
        • Aug 2005

Thanks for the tips!
        I checked to see if the aiff codec is installed for both read and write, it is.

The audio is from a CD but it is a CD of dialogue audio from my friends documentary.
        When I click on "properties" it says the file is a dbpoweramp wave file.

I CAN successfully test convert (no write). Maybe if I convert the file to a wav, and save it on my hard drive I might be able to convert it then? I'll try and report back.

Thanks again!

James

Comment

• mucklechumps
          • Aug 2005

OK That worked. I converted to wave first, then to aiff. I guess dbpoweramp needed to see its type of wave file.

Thanks again.. James

Comment

Working...

]]>