title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

rips to static?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • puneetd
    • Aug 2005

rips to static?

After years and hundreds of albums successfully ripped to FLAC on DMC, yesterday all my discs suddenly are being ripped to small files full of static only. Tried ripping to other codecs - same result. Little static files. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling all codecs and DMC - same result.
    Only thing I can think of that was different was 1) I had used winamp to rip a few discs that weren't reading properly in cd input, and 2) I had changed the icon in file associations, because winamp had reset everything to 'winamp media file'.
    Any ideas how to fix? I use a registered copy of DMC with powerpack. Every old flac file I ripped before then plays just fine.
    Thanks.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: rips to static?

Are your files 24-bit? What version of the FLAC codec are you using?

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

Assuming your issues are not related to 24 bit compression, you might want to try this tip:
      Open dMC Audio CD Configuration found in Start >> Programs >> Illustrate >> dBpowerAMP Music Converter >> Configuration and select CD Communication to 2000 / NT Built-In (Limited), click Ok, dMC Audio CD Input will now function normally
      This is from the Support Page for dMC Audio CD Input here:

If this does not work, you may still want to visit this page to see if there are other tips that would be helpful, especially if you have an older version of Windows.

If this does not help, you may also want to check the Options you have set in Audio CD Input to see if this will do any better if you use a slower ripping speed.

If you are trying to convert to/from 24 bit format, please let us know as your answer could lie elsewhere.

There are some other options that might also be helpful but I can't go into them right now.

If you feel that a complete uninstall re-install might help, and if you have not already done so, you might want to try a complete uninstall as outlined in Razgo's sticky in this Forum about uninstalling issues here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828

After uninstalling dMC and deleting the Illustrate folder from the registery, shut down your computer (IMPORTANT), restart the computer and reinstall using the current beta version of dMC, which is a big improvement over the current standard version of dMC. Sometimes just switching to the beta version will save you from having to resort to editing the registery but sometimes there is no good alternative.

Keep us posted.
      Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

>Tried ripping to other codecs - same result

Don't think it is anything to do with 24 bit.

Tried rebooting the PC? tried playing the CD using Windows Media Player?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• puneetd
          • Aug 2005

Thanks for the replies. Strictly 16 bit.
          Tried all of the above. Nothing doing, till I performed the regedit surgery.
          then voila' - it worked on the reinstall.
          I don't know what happened, but suspect winamp's flac encoders confused something.
          Thanks for the prompt assistance.

Comment

Working...

]]>