title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can't open Codec

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bionic
    • Aug 2005

Can't open Codec

The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californiacation.mp3' could not be opened.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, and getting the new codec(LAME). But alas, I cannot get it to work. I've also checked the FAQ. Have I missed something? What must I do to fix this problem?
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: Can't open Codec

What version of dMC are you using? Are you using a registered version if not has the 30 trial period expired?

Alternatively what compression settings are you using and what format is the file you are trying to convert to mp3? The latest beta version of dMC gives a better error message if it has problems with the compression settings. Older version just report they can not open the codec.

Wayne

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Also, the latest dMC beta is a little more forgiving regarding input settings for mp3s.
      What is the frequency, bitrate, channels, and type of your input file?

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Is this an issue with only one track/file or with many? Are you ripping from CD or converting from a different format?
        If you are ripping from from CD, and the problem is only with a single track or a single cd, check the FAQ forum section for dMC on Copy Protected CD's.

If you are converting from a different file format, we really need to know (as Wayne and LtData have asked) the format, channels, bits, bitrates and frequency of the source file(s) and whether this is an issue with only a single file, a selected set of files or with all of your files. It would also help to know whether this is affecting just a single format or many/all. A good diagnostic step is always to see if you can convert your source file to standard wave first and then to your desired output format.

If this is affecting every rip or conversion I would recommend a complete uninstall as outlined in Razgo's sticky in this Forum about uninstalling issues here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828

After uninstalling dMC and deleting the Illustrate folder from the registery, shut down your computer (IMPORTANT), restart the computer and reinstall using the current beta version of dMC, which, as Wayne and LtData have suggested, is a big improvement over the current standard version of dMC. Sometimes just switching to the beta version will save you from having to resort to editing the registery but sometimes there is no good alternative.

Keep us posted.
        Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• bionic
          • Aug 2005

I'm using the lastest version, I tried the beta to. I'm just trying to compress my mp3's. And this is an issue with all files. The 30 day trial is over. I'm on XP home, all patched up.

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

So you mean that you have some mp3 files and you are trying to convert them to smaller mp3 files?
            If not, could you please clarify details about the source files you are trying to convert (cd or digital format and, if digital, channels, bits, bitrate and frequency) and about the mp3 settings you are trying to convert to.
            And also let us know if you take a source file and convert it first to standard wave, will it convert?
            If it will not convert, can you test convert it (same as a regular conversion except that in the dMC window, where you select mp3 of wave, select "Test Conversion. No Write". Please let us know if the file will test convert or not.
            If it does convert, can you take the wave file and convert it to mp3 at your desired setting?

To help understand why these issues are important, it might help to explain that the error message you have received may come from any of 3 sources. It might be that there is a problem with reading the source file. It might mean that there is a problem writing to the output file (at least to the settings you have specified). Or there might be a compatibility problem between your source file and your output file (for example, you cannot convert a 6 channel wave or wma file directly to mp3 because mp3 will not handle 6 channels, only 1 or 2). So what we are doing is to ask you to do a few simple tests to help figure out where your particular problem might lie. You only need to do this with a single file that you know will not convert.

Best wishes,
            Bill

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

You can't encode to mp3 after the trial runs out. This is due to patent stuff mentioned elsewhere in the forums. Sorry.

Comment

• xoas
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2002

You can't encode to mp3 after the trial runs out.
                This is true. And if you are not registered then you can forget about the other things I mentionned since you can read your mp3 files, you just cannot write mp3 files. What you might want to consider is converting those mp3 files (because you can still read and convert them, just not to mp3) to a different format (like wma, ogg, musepack, aac/mp4/m4a). This you can do without registering. You will need to download the appropriate codec from Codec Central (tab at the top of the page). If you are worried about a player to play these files, the dBpowerAMP Audio Player (dAP) will automatically support any file you can convert with dB Music Converter (although WinAmp, with the appropriate plug-ins, Foobar2000 and probably some other players can support a variety of formats, as well).

Best wishes,
                Bill

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

If you're wondering why now you have to register to encode to mp3, it's becuase Thompson has now enforced licensing fees upon products that have an mp3 encoder of some sort.

Comment

Working...

]]>