title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Real Alternative

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snoopy66
    • Aug 2005

Real Alternative

Hello,
    To get dBpowerAmp converter to convert ra ram rm files(real audio) I had to uninstall Real player 10 and install Real Alternative as suggested on a FAQ I found here. My question is can I now install Real Player 10 and still be able to convert real audio stuff?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Real Alternative

There have been varied experiences with both RA and Real Player on the same system. I don't have a definite answer, personally, but I know Christina didn't install the RA codecs onto her system that had Real Player, just the DS Splitter, and for her, GetPopupInfo would crash on a mouse-over of real-files, but convert fine. All I can tell you is that it shouldn't break anything, just may cause minor annoyances or the above-mentioned problem.

Comment

• adaywayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by LtData
      There have been varied experiences with both RA and Real Player on the same system. I don't have a definite answer, personally, but I know Christina didn't install the RA codecs onto her system that had Real Player, just the DS Splitter, and for her, GetPopupInfo would crash on a mouse-over of real-files, but convert fine. All I can tell you is that it shouldn't break anything, just may cause minor annoyances or the above-mentioned problem.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      According to my recollection, the main difference is that with RealPlayer installed, conversion to/fromanothet formay takes place at 1x. With Real Alternative it is abut 16x.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

No adaywayne, that's with the original Real decoder. If you install RA's DirectShow splitter, you can still use the DS Decoder to get faster than real-time.

Comment

• Snoopy66
          • Aug 2005

I have version 6.4.84 for real alternative. Some of the files I have saved I can no longer play such as some video with amr etention. Looking at a web site I think called File ext said that it is a real player 10 file. If I install real player 10 is it going to ask to uninstall RA now? I only ask because some of the web content I go to needs the newer real player. Thanks for your help. I have tried other converters before, but so far dBpowerAMP seems to be the best to keep ID tags and a good quality change in format. If things still are working out good for me after the 30 day trial I will purchasing your product. :smile2:

Comment

• adaywayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by LtData
            No adaywayne, that's with the original Real decoder. If you install RA's DirectShow splitter, you can still use the DS Decoder to get faster than real-time.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Thanks for that information, Lt.

Comment

Working...

]]>