title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problems converting high efficiency aac to mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caelestis Malus
    • Aug 2005

Problems converting high efficiency aac to mp3

[COLOR=Indigo]I've got about 25 .aac files that I need converted to mp3. I've tried with 6 of them so far, and only 3 will convert. I get the "codec cannot be opened error" that everyone seems to be having problems with.

As well, the .mp3 is larger, longer and distorted when it plays. It comes out in slow-motion.

BEFORE

Type: aac File
    Extension: .aac
    Length: 24:16
    Size: 15677KB
    Original size: 752456KB
    Compression: 47 to 1 (2%)
    Frequency: 44100
    Channels: 6
    Bitrate: 88 kbps
    AAC type: High Efficiency [SBR] (Header: ADTS)

AFTER

Type: MPEG Layer 3 Audio
    Extension: .mp3
    Length: 72:50
    Size: 51218KB
    Original size: 752800KB
    Compression: 14 to 1 (6%)
    Bitrate: 96 kbps
    Frequency: 44100
    Channels: 2
    Channel mode: Joint-Stereo
    Level: MPEG 1 Layer 3
    Encoded by: Lame 3.96

Is the distortion a result of the compression? How can I get a comparably-sized .mp3 file that is the same length as the original?

The length is important, since these are audio tracks extracted from an .mkv anime file which I will be muxing into .avi with the extracted video track.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Caelestis Malus; August 02, 2005, 09:14 PM. Reason: forgot details
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Problems converting high efficiency aac to mp3

I am not at all sure whether Lame is able to support 6 channels. I know it could not in the recent past. I do note that the mp3 file is 3 times as long (2 channels by 3 is 6 channels) but this could be a coincidence.

First thing to try is to see if you can do successful test conversions of these files. Open them in dMC and where you would designate format (mp3) for the conversion select Test Convert (no write). This should tell you whether dMC has a problem with reading any of the files. Let us know your results.

If they open and if you can utilize 2 channel mp3 rather than 6, I seem to recall a possible 2-step conversion that might work, I'll have to look it up if you're interested.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

The problem is probably related to the AAC having 6 channels. Try converting to a 6-channel WAV, then to a 2-channel WAV, then to your mp3.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The latest beta version of dMC should accept 6 channels for mp3 (note mp3 is 2 channels maximum only).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Caelestis Malus
          • Aug 2005

[COLOR=Indigo]Thank you all very much. You had some very helpful suggestions. I didn't need to try the beta version to get the conversion to work, though I'm sure if I'd downloaded it in the first place that would have saved me a lot of grief to begin with.

I did a test conversion which worked perfectly. From there I converted to wave. Though the file sizes were again larger (I assume to decompression) the lengths were perfect and things sounded fine. I then went from wave to .mp3 and everything came out wonderfully.

Thank you for your help and the wonderful program![/COLOR]

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

You're very welcome.

Best wishes and good luck on your project.
            Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>