title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Crackles in OGG rips

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThePotatoe
    • Jul 2005

Crackles in OGG rips

I have been using dbpowerAMP for a while for cd ripping. I had used it on my old crappy dell and on my new custom built pc. The program was ripping flawlessly until yesterday, when all of the cds I ripped into the ogg vorbis format came out with crackles and fuzz at 256 kbps. This pissed me off so I tried to use another program that I had on my computer to rip it into VBR mp3s. The crackle persisted. I researched it a little bit and found that it may be the video aperture size affecting it (since I changed it from 128 to 256 without any knowledge of what it did), but since I changed it I have ripped a couple of cds and they have worked. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Could it be my souncard? Could it just be the fact that I was running firefox at the same time?
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Crackles in OGG rips

Which Ogg codec were you using?
    The new Ogg Vorbis aoTuV B3, ICL 8.1 codec seems to produce superior results vs. the standard Ogg codec for dMC.
    What is the video arpeture size you refer to?

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• ThePotatoe
      • Jul 2005

The video aperture that I had (standard) was 128. I switched it to 256 without knowing what it does. Does the standard ogg codec have a reputation for producing a crackle with the rips?

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

What do you mean by "video aperture"? How does this tie in with audio conversions of an kind?

Comment

• ThePotatoe
          • Jul 2005

Video Aperture is a setting in the BIOS for AGP video cards. I had thought that this may have cause it since I read on Creative's website that this may cause crackling audio if it is set too high.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

O^^O :p

Well, you can test this possible side effect by rippping to uncompressed, standard PCM 16-bit 44.1KHz 2-channel stereo wav and see if you are still getting crackling sounds.

If your original cd has good audio quality, the wav should be exactly the same - unless you are getting interference during the ripping process from something else.

Is it possible the cd may be copy-protected? One form may introduce crackling sounds when trying to rip it.

Check this forum section for workarounds cd copy protection http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7418
            Last edited by ChristinaS; July 21, 2005, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• ThePotatoe
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
              O^^O :p
              Is it possible the cd may be copy-protected? One form may introduce crackling sounds when trying to rip it.
              http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7418
              The Cd's I am ripping are not copy protected and I tried playing one of the ones that crackled on my stereo and it did not crackle at all. Again, could this be caused by me running too many programs while it was ripping?

Comment

• GSV3MiaC
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jun 2005

That's vaguely possible, but the one time I've had this effect was when I had mis-levelled the volume on tracks and I was hitting the limits on my sound card - the clipping every time it exceeded max volume sounded just like crackles.

Why don't you take one of the offending .ogg files, convert it to .wav, and then look it it with your favourite audio editor (I think you can try Acoustica for free for a while, if you don't already have one). It'll be much more obvious what the problem actually =IS= .. 'crackles' mean different things to different people, and have 1001 (well, at least a dozen) different causes, waveform-wise.
                Last edited by GSV3MiaC; July 21, 2005, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Do note that copy protected CDs will play just fine in stereos, but computers will not be able to rip them with normal settings.

Comment

• ThePotatoe
                    • Jul 2005

Again, these cds are FOR SURE not copy protected. The cds in question are:

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
                    Foo Fighters - One By One
                    The Roots - The Tipping Point
                    The Roots - Phrenology

Comment

• GSV3MiaC
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Jun 2005

Again - what do the .wav conversions of these offending .ogg files actually look like?? Acoustica will let you zoom in on the 'crackle' in more detail than you could possibly need to spot the problem.

Do they also crackle on other PCs with different sound cards / settings, and on your MP3 player (sorry if you told me that already, upthread is now a long haul).

Comment

• xoas
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2002

It seems to me that a simpler test of whether your video aperture setting is related to your problem is to try ripping sample tracks from these disks at your original (pre-crackle) video aperture setting and to try again under your your later setting.

Just a thought.
                        Best wishes,
                        Bill

Comment

• ThePotatoe
                          • Jul 2005

Yes, they do crackle on my iRiver H120 mp3 player.

I am actually going to try re-ripping them today with the original video aperture setting intact. Thanks for all of your help, and I'll post if something goes wrong.

Comment

Working...

]]>