title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Arranging Files & Track Number

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • v6v6v6
    • Jul 2005

Arranging Files & Track Number

In the Arrange Files feature I've set up my files to be arranged like so:

[artist]\[album]\[track number xx]. [track]
    Eg. Madonna\Erotica\10. Rain

This means that if I don't specify an album for a track, it gets placed under the top level artist folder. It works almost perfectly except for the fact that these individual tracks are prefaced with "00" as the track number.

Is there a way to remove this?
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Arranging Files & Track Number

The mask [track number xx] is what introduces that. Remove it from the file naming pattern and you won't see it again.

I would stay away from using a period in the file naming convention.

Comment

• v6v6v6
      • Jul 2005

ChristinaS, thanks for replying.

I'm aware that removing [track number xx] would solve this completely, but I wanted to retain track numbers for songs within albums. The problem is with songs which aren't necessarily part of an album, as with live and indie music.

So I'm assuming then that there isn't any way to prevent this... how do you and others handle this? Also, why would you advise staying away from using a period?

Thanks.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Because some programs read what is after the first period as the extension. Mabye try a hyphen "-" instead.

Edit: Never-mind the below, missed that he is using the "Arrange Music" utility codec. As ChristinaS said, you are probably missing the track number in the tags.
        As for why you are getting all 00's for the track number, CDGrab should at least put the CD Track number as it reads it. Unless it also has a problem with periods in the naming convention. Try changing the period to something else, even if it is just a space.
        Last edited by LtData; July 12, 2005, 02:24 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

It's Arrrange Music that he's referring to not CdGrab. If the file was not ripped to a compressed format from a cd using cd grab, probably no track number was included in the tag information, so that would default to 0.

You sometimes have to modify the naming convention to suit circumstances, one size doesn't always fit all.

Also you may have to fix the tags individually before re-arranging the files.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It would be possible of you had the Audio player (you can sort on album, select those with albums and right click >> convert to >> [arrange music]), then do albums 2ndly.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• v6v6v6
              • Jul 2005

Spoon, I believe you can use the Arrange Files feature using the dBpowerAMP Music Converter, too.

Edit: Oh, did you create this thing or something? :D Maybe you know more about it than I do, ha...

My original issue was that an unwanted "00" appears for track number when I don't specify it in the Tag for certain songs which aren't within an album. Apparently, I can't have my cake and eat it, too, so I'll have to edit those tracks manually.
              Last edited by v6v6v6; July 12, 2005, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>