title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

no playback on MP3 [ripped from CD]

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rip_tears
    • Jul 2005

no playback on MP3 [ripped from CD]

My trial version of DB PowerAmp expired, so I got a licence & d/l'ed the latest version [as instructed].

Just ripped some songs to MP3 & all went smooth until I tried to play them: no playback whatsoever. ouch.

I've run them in WinAmp & WMP.
    In Winamp; there's no slider in the time-bar & the timecode stays on 0:00.
    In WMP; nothing doing there either.

Is this issue Lame file related? Hope someone can help...

Thanks, Suze
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: no playback on MP3 [ripped from CD]

Did you have error messages during the ripping process?

Was it ripped from an audio CD? Using dMC Audio CD Input?

What settings did you use on the mp3 to be created?

Are you logged in as an admin when you rip?

Has everyhting been installed to the same folder, preferably c:\program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP as proposed by the installer?

Comment

• rip_tears
      • Jul 2005

hello Christina

Thanks for getting back. To answer:

[COLOR=DarkRed]Did you have error messages during the ripping process??[/COLOR]
      no error message. rip went smoothly with no problems.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Was it ripped from an audio CD? Using dMC Audio CD Input?[/COLOR]
      yes & yes.

[COLOR=DarkRed]What settings did you use on the mp3 to be created?[/COLOR]
      originally tried the default settings:-
      preset quality: no settings [then also tried changing this to *normal*]
      encoding: constant bitrate
      set bits: original
      compression settings: MP3 [Lame]
      bit rate: 128Kbps
      channels: stereo
      frequency: 8000Hz

[COLOR=DarkRed]Are you logged in as an admin when you rip?[/COLOR]
      Do you mean logged in to the OS as admin? If so, I am running Windows 98 SE & don't have separate ID's at log on: There's no prohibition for me to make changes to the system files, or any other files. Also, my trial versions of DBPA & DMC ran fine - tho I think they were probably earlier versions as I've had them since last year [hadn't needed to do any rips in a while!].

[COLOR=DarkRed]Has everyhting been installed to the same folder, preferably c:\program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP as proposed by the installer? [/COLOR]
      I think so. The folder is there & has plenty in it anyway. How can I tell if it's complete?

also - did try loading MPEG SUITE 2001r2 & loaded codec.exe as instructed [to C: & also to the c:\program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP folder, but DMC isn't listing any new MP3 coding options.

Really at a loss here! :cry: Thanks for helping Christina.
      Suze

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

What was the file size for your ripped mp3 files?

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

The 8000Hz frequency may be a problem. You could try ripping to 44.1KHz as frequency. Not sure you should select anything as source when dealing with an audio cd either. Use No Preset in Advanced, Set Bits: original. Select stereo and 44100Hz as frequency adn set the bitrate sldier to 128Kbps.

The frequency setting will not save you much space, but the audio quality may be reduced. Unless you specifically need mp3's at 8000Hz maybe for a ringtone, there's not benefit in that. You'll get sapce savings by selecting a lower bitrate.

But you can also try to rip to PCM wav first: 16-bit, 2-channel stereo, 44.1KHz. Test your output file. If it's good, then convert it to other formats.

Comment

• rip_tears
            • Jul 2005

Christina, you are a STAR! :komisch9: Thank you so much for all your help & speedy replies. quality!

44.1KHz as frequency & bitrate as 128Kbps WORKED. 8000Hz was the setting it loaded with when I ran the download & you saved me much messing about in reconfiguring this [& at a loss to know what was wrong, maybe I'd never have got there alone].

I can not thank you enough, you wonderful altruistic person you :D
            best wishes [for ever & ever!] Suze

p.s. xoas; thank you also!
            Last edited by rip_tears; July 09, 2005, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

LOL, Suze! You're making me blush! Bless you, you're welcome :D

Comment

Working...

]]>