title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Really Slow

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Really Slow

I've been trying to encode both Flac and Mp3 files and it takes HOURS (literally) to encode one album. What am I doing wrong?

I've tried two different drives (both pretty modern - a 24X write speed CDRW TDK and a slot drive DVD player by Pioneer that says 16x) I am getting pretty slow ripping speeds (less than one) but sometimes the rip speed is much faster but the encoding still progresses over an hour!

I took off the high quality rip and the check for jitter options but it is still really slow. I'm running an AMD 1.4 Ghz processor on a modern machine.

This program looks cool but it is too slow to be useful.
  • totalXSive
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2002

FLAC is a slow format but MP3 shouldn't be. As a rough guide, here's my setup:
    Intel Celeron 900Mhz processor
    128MB RAM
    32x Toshibar compact CD-ROM drive (I use a laptop). Rips at 5x.
    Windows XP Professional

dMC Release 9a with Power Pack
    Rip to RAM + Rip and Encode enabled (this is a Power Pack option)
    Slow Accurate Ripping enabled
    No Jitter Correction disabled
    Ripping to MP3 (Lame) using Alt Preset CBR
    DSP effects/Volume Normalise disabled

With that setup, a 3:30 CD track takes about 1:30 to 1:45 to rip, depending on what I'm also doing (having other programs open slows it down quite a bit).

The DSP effects can slow it down quite a bit, I find - with Remove Silence enabled ripping time increases to about the same length of the track.

Is this helpful?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Try Ripping to wave - it will tell you the speed of ripping, compared to the speed of encoding.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>