title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Encoded AAC not playing in WinAmp

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wmjordan
    • Jan 2005

Encoded AAC not playing in WinAmp

I converted an APE file into AAC.

The AAC file plays in Foobar 2000 0.8, but not in Winamp 5.093
    (with the MP3+AAC decoder plugin that comes with Winamp).

I have tried all option combinations, none of them works.

• xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Encoded AAC not playing in WinAmp

The problem may be with your Winamp AAC decoder. If you have not already done so, you might want to try the newer Winamp mp4 dodec described and available here:
    Download MP4 Input Plugin (for Winamp2/5) 2.1 : MP4 plugin for Winamp decodes .MP4 and .M4A files as well as AAC, PS AAC

Please let us know how you make out.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• wmjordan
      • Jan 2005

Thanks Bill! That decoder plugin works.
      But I suspect that there's a bug in that recoder.
      If I use it to play an AAC file, I can't rename or tag the file unless Winamp is shut down. The AAC file is always in-use no matter Winamp is playing it or not.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

But I suspect that there's a bug in that recoder.
        Might be. This codec is listed as a beta version. I don't know if the Null-Soft site would have a better codec. On the other hand, the problem you describe might be due to Winamp trying to assign itself as the default program for AAC files. Back a few years ago this seemed to be a not uncommon problem, but I don't think we've had reports of such problems recently.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• wmjordan
          • Jan 2005

Ooops, I am sorry for my typo, not "in that recorder", but "in that decoder (plugin)" :P

With the spectrum analysis (the visual plugin in Foobar 2000), I found that the AAC compression gives the best compression among lossy algorithms, which outstands MP3 VBR, and the famous MusePack.

There's a thread here I have just posted some minutes before:
          During a test, I converted several tracks from APE to MPC, MP3, and AAC with dbPowerAmp Music Converter. The encoding settings for MP3 is 256kbps VBR, MPC is insane, and AAC is ultra. Then, I opened Foobar 2000 and its spectrum analysis visual plugin, and compared the spectrum of the orginal APE, and the encoded MPC, MP3,
          Last edited by wmjordan; July 08, 2005, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>