title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Why would i want an mp3 encoder with powerpack?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billman
    • Jun 2005

Why would i want an mp3 encoder with powerpack?

I have absolutely no desire for yet another mp3 encoder, a completely useless codec if there ever was one :( . I would like to get the powerpack but it seems the price is based more on the mp3 license (usually $10 for most apps) than on the price of the powerpack. Is there any way i can get the powerpack for a reduced price without the useless mp3 license? I really just want it to edit a bunch of flac and shn tags at once in explorer rather than in the My Music Collection window of poweramp.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Why would i want an mp3 encoder with powerpack?

Sorry, you have to get the entire PowerPack including the mp3 encoder. And the PowerPack price is $14

Comment

• Tomb
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by billman
      I have absolutely no desire for yet another mp3 encoder, a completely useless codec if there ever was one :(
      If you are simply comparing lossless against lossy you are right (well it's not useless) but I think most of the planet would disgree with you on that one. It's certainly made a change to the way people listen to and buy music. It's also shaken an entire industry to it's core.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

mp3 does have its uses, if that's just compatability with a load of CD/DVD players released recently. mp3 CDs are getting to be second behind audio CDs in terms of broadest compatability.

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

ut-oh,

/me senses thread hijack
          /me returns thread to topic

Perhaps this would be a good idea to consider, Spoon?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Actually, I don't think they will be split. It would be too complicated to have another version of the PowerPack that not many people would use. Besides, $14USD isn't too much, is it? I mean, you probably WILL need an mp3 encoded at some point for friends.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
              ut-oh,

/me senses thread hijack
              /me returns thread to topic

Perhaps this would be a good idea to consider, Spoon?
              Totally off topic, but the lines with the "/"'s made me lol. Seriously.

Comment

• billman
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by LtData
                Besides, $14USD isn't too much, is it? I mean, you probably WILL need an mp3 encoded at some point for friends.

No that isn't too much to pay, except i don't have a job right now.

And no, i'll NEVER need mp3 for my friends, first, anything encoded in mp3 will probably be copyrighted so trading or giving would be illegal, and second, none of my friends would use lossy compression for the types of music we trade. if i even tried to use lossy compression i would be cut off instantly.

hell, i prefer the lossy version of wma to mp3 and that comes free with WMP and will most likely replace mp3 because of Microsoft's muscle.

Comment

• Tomb
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by billman
                  hell, i prefer the lossy version of wma to mp3 and that comes free with WMP and will most likely replace mp3 because of Microsoft's muscle.
                  And that's why Microsoft bundled an mp3 codec with WMP 10.............

Comment

• neilthecellist
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by iTunesIsEvil
                    Totally off topic, but the lines with the "/"'s made me lol. Seriously.

Huh? You've never seen the /me functions before? They work in Trillian, Gaim, and IRC..../me translates to **username**, if I say /me senses thread hijack, the outcome on the screen would be :

**neilthecellist senses thread hijack

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

:D Lol!

Comment

• Razgo
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

the powerpack used to be US$19.00 without the mp3 codec license.

it was only when Spoon was forced to pay royalties that he had to pass on the cost to the end user who wanted the mp3 codec.

so instead of people paying for just the mp3 codec Spoon lowered the price of the powerpack and included the mp3 codec lisence and gave everyone more bang for their buck.

so if Spoon would to separate the mp3 codec license from the powerapack it would possibly look like this

1. powerapack without mp3 codec license $19.00
                        2. mp3 codec license $5.00

this has to cover the cost of the servers the websites run on as there is no commercial banners or advertising on this site to pay for it.

Comment

• billman
                          • Jun 2005

That makes no sense whatsoever. Why would the powerpack with the mp3 license cost less than the powerpack without the license ?

And WMP does not offer mp3 natively except in decode, it costs at least usd10.00 for an encoder,

I, in fact, do not use the lossy wma codecs. i use the VBR lossless codec for prerecorded CDs only. For good, live music i use either shn or flac. I use Flac these days because softsound has started to enforce it's shn patents. As i said before, i only want the powerpack to work with flac and shn tags in explorer rather than within the My Music Collection window of dbpoweramp, which is handy, but not easy to use.
                          Last edited by billman; July 10, 2005, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• LtData
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

WMP 10 includes an mp3 encoder with it.
                            And I'm sure at some point you will need an mp3 encoder. Even if you don't, its handy to have.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

>Why would the powerpack with the mp3 license cost less than the powerpack without the license ?

Economies of scale, the mp3 license increased sales so the price was reduced.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>