title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m3a to wav OR m3a to mp3 HOW???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • freethinker
    • Jun 2005

m3a to wav OR m3a to mp3 HOW???

I want to know how to convert m3a music files to wav files. Alternately a conversion to mp3 will also work, since I can then convert the mp3 file to a wav file. Thank You
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: m3a to wav OR m3a to mp3 HOW???

From a google search, it seems your m3a file is a combination of a playlist file and an mp3 file. To convert this file, simply rename it to mp3. However, this will make the file now behave as one large file instead of separate ones. See here: http://www.birdcagesoft.com/m3a-fmt.txt

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

The way I understand the .m3a files from that site, is that they are just text files like .m3u with extra tag-like textual information. In fact I think fully deployed .m3u files are the same thing or very similar.

Simply open the .m3a file in Notepad and see the mp3 files being referred to. Those are what you want to convert, individually.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

But the site also says this:
        The m3a file will play as one continuous mp3 if renamed to mp3.
        It seems they embedd the mp3 inside the playlist file.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by LtData
          But the site also says this:

It seems they embedd the mp3 inside the playlist file.
          Oh, maybe it simply fools the player. Best is to open it in Notepad and see.
          Or better, what size is it? If small, 1-2K, it's a text file, otherwise it's what LtData says and you need to separate it.

LATER:

Ah, I read more of the page. Yes, you're right - the contents of all the mp3 files are appended at the bottom, after the pointers are set in the beginning.

Grrr....

Darn, this calls for a lot of manipulation if no program is provided to separate it all.

I dont' know if you can put in skips to force the reading of just one of the mp3 files .... (thinking aloud here).

But see here:
          JukeBox Decoder will currently create M3A files and view and extract mp3 files from M3A.
          That would be http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,22600,00.asp
          Last edited by ChristinaS; June 21, 2005, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>