title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m4a codec problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoneArtificer
    • Jun 2005

m4a codec problems

My goal was to convert my APE files to mp4 so they would work best on my ipod. This was working for quite some time, then just decided to stop. First it was having memory errors or something like that. So i uninstalled everything and reinstalled it again. No memory problems now, it just says "The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Converted Music2\A New Found Glory - All Downhill From Here.m4a' could not be opened.' It says the same thing for any file. I have the codec installed and i don't think anything could have changed since it was working. Any imput would be great.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: m4a codec problems

Note that originally there were separate mp4 encoder and decoder codecs. Try downloading the new combined mp4 decoder/encoder codec from Codec Central.

Comment

• LoneArtificer
      • Jun 2005

i think i have that. i downloaded the first codec on the list. release 3. is that the right one? or am i missing something?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

That is the right one. Did you previously have any m4a/mp4 encoders/decoders installed? Also, check dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration) under "Encoders" and see if m4a/mp4 is listed there.

Comment

• LoneArtificer
          • Jun 2005

No i have not had any other of thoes codecs. I was using it fine, then it started having errors, so i reinstalled now it doesn't work. And yes, it is listed in the installed codec section.

and i am trying to think of what i did that would break it. one night i was just transfering a couple hundred songs in APE format to my iPod in mp4. then it had errors halfway thru and hasn't worked since. all other conversions seem to work, however.

i am surprized reinstall didn't fix it, but maybe i am still missing something essential here.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Did you follow the uninstall instructions here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828
            Also, try the latest dMC beta linked below.

Comment

• LoneArtificer
              • Jun 2005

ok, i did the complete uninstall thing, installed the new beta and made sure i got the newest codecs. still didn't work. so i tried something, i just converted APE to WAV and WAV to MP4.... and it worked!!! yay! i don't know what broke to make it so i cant just go from one format to the other, but this way works.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Could be a case of wanting to change too many settings at the same time: bits, frequency, bitrate, channels ... whatever aplies to the various formats.

Bringing all to a uniform standard .wav first allows for easier conversion to other formats very often.

Comment

Working...

]]>