title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m4p Conversion?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsb
    • Jun 2005

m4p Conversion?

Hello:

I just purchased a license thinking I would be able to convert m4p to mp3 or wave and now have discovered I can do neither. Reading your main page, I thought it was clear that I would be able to do that. How do I get a refund?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: m4p Conversion?

m4p is a protected file-type. Instructions on how to convert are in the "DRM and Copy Protection" forum. See here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Edit: And what on the front page led you to believe this?

Comment

• adaywayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2004

Just a little clarification. You can create your own mp4 files from wave or any other format and those mp4 files can be converted back. I think what LtData was referring to were mp4/aac files downloaded from iTunes. Those files are copy-protected as LtData explained. This is also explained in Codec Central.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Confusion reigns supreme concerning these extensions :D

.m4p : the p on the end suggests it's a protected file. But extensions can be changed manually, so it can be maningless. It's really just a convention.

.m4a, .mp4 - referring to the same format, minus the protection. Again, extensions can be changed manually, so there's no guarantee of either the exact format or the presence or absence of protection. You won't know until you try converting.

If it's a file bought or somehow precured from an iTunes shop, then it's more than likely protected. If you didn't buy it yourself from iTunes, then you also don't have the "key" to unlock it so it can at least be played on your pc, and you're totally out of luck then.

Comment

• jefferyp00
          • Jun 2005

I just paid 14.00 for something I really doesn't work to convert m4p's to mp3's. Can someone help...please don't send me to one of the useless links I've read about for the last 3 hours....

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

:confused: Chrstina just explained it to you in one post.

You need to use a program like JHymn to unlock the protection on that m4p file.

Also, don't call those links useless. Many people benefit from them.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jefferyp00
              I just paid 14.00 for something I really doesn't work to convert m4p's to mp3's. Can someone help...please don't send me to one of the useless links I've read about for the last 3 hours....
              Sorry, pal. If you are not willing to help yourself, nobody can help you.
              Documentation is there for you to read, understand and follow. If you don't want to do it, too bad. We can't do it for you.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2004

In other words, we are not your dirty hands.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

JHymn is easy to use and its free. Once you have the unprotected mp4 files, you can then use dMC to convert them to whatever format you want. And do note that the program, excluding mp3 encoding, is free. The 30-day trial is there for you to make sure you like the program.

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

All programs have a full 30 day full trial, before purchasing check the program functions as required, refunds cannot be given after registered program is downloaded.
                    This is stated on the main registration page at the top and probably elsewhere too. This is why we have the 30-day trial. The trial has all the features that registered dMC has except the trial has a 30-day limit on the PowerPack.

Apple supplies protected mp4 files in a .m4p format from its online audio store (whilst dBpowerAMP cannot decode these see Forum for details on fair use).
                    Again, it says dMC CANNOT decode these formats. I still don't see where it says you could.

Comment

• adaywayne
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                      Sorry, pal. If you are not willing to help yourself, nobody can help you.
                      Documentation is there for you to read, understand and follow. If you don't want to do it, too bad. We can't do it for you.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Thanks Christina. Yes, I should have made the proper distinction between m4p and mp4. Sloppy posting, I'm afraid!

Comment

• dsb
                        • Jun 2005

Well, I'd say take a look. Very confusing at best...

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

What is confusing? The mp4/m4p/m4a deal? It is documented good enough and shouldn't be hard to understand.

Comment

Working...

]]>