title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Music Convertor Crash

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Tuke
    • Jun 2005

Music Convertor Crash

I've been using Music Convertor for a few years and have never had a problem until I upgraded to version 11. I am now unable to convert more than a few files (I use it mainly for converting the bit rate of Mp3 files) before the program crashes. The symptoms vary from Music Convertor crashing, any other program I am running crashing (this is weird but it only ever happens when convertor is running) or the PC rebooting. I have tried uninstalling and going back to v9 but now that has the same problem.

Having been through this forum I can see that some others have had similar problems which have been blamed on the cpu overheating. Is this really true? I have no problems ever (and I mean ever) with my PC so why does this one program have this effect?

Thanks for any help

Andy
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Music Convertor Crash

Why this happens now and didn't use to happen before? Good question.

Just a thought. Try using Below Normal for the priority of conversion. The new installation may have changed that for you to Above Normal or Normal.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

What's the age of your computer?

General question to all: Is RivaTuner able to tell you what temperature the CPU is at? (Note: I said CPU, not GPU)

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

I would think also the computer is overheating.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Simple test regarding overheating:
          Take the side off the computer, place a box-fan next to the case on high blowing into the case. Now try your encoding. If the computer doesn't crash, your problem is heat. If the computer does crash, move the fan and place your finger on the CPU heatsink, normally located below the Power Supplly in the case. It normally has a fan on top of it. Place your finger on the side of it, and if you are or nearly are burned, then you need a new CPU heatsink.

Also, try to use the "Test Conversoin (no write)" codec to make sure a file isn't causing the crashes.

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

LtData, wouldn't RivaTuner be an easier to tell if the CPU is overheating? Your "simple test" can burn your fingers, as you said in your post.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
              LtData, wouldn't RivaTuner be an easier to tell if the CPU is overheating? Your "simple test" can burn your fingers, as you said in your post.
              If your skin stays behind and sizzles then you know for sure :D

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Yes it can burn your fingers, but its normally only the tip of your finger. And I don't think RivaTuner can tell you your CPU temperature. In fact, programs that can tell your CPU temperature don't work on every motherboard.

Comment

• Sir Tuke
                  • Jun 2005

I touched the cooler and it was very warm but didnt burn so thats a good start.
                  After the last couple of crashes I went straight into the BIOS and the motherboard CPU temp monitor was showing 70 which from what I can find on AMDs website is well within limits.
                  (My PC is an AMD 2100+ on an ASUS A7V333 mobo)
                  My gut feeling is that I have a CPU problem somewhere, as I tried hammering it by running around 20 Winrar archives at once and it did the same thing but its a pain. I guess I'll try buying a new cooler as thats the cheapest option to start with
                  Thanks to everyone for their help
                  Andy

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

70oC is high, you should aim for about 50oC (this AMD 64 runs at 38oC), a good test is a prime number generator (I think it is called prime95 search on google)
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

WHOA, 70C is WAYY to high. Your problem is definately over heating. Yes, 90C is the upper limit, but that's when the CPU pretty much melts down. It starts crashing way before that. You need to upgrade the Heatsink/fan on your CPU.
                      Note that the maximum for something doesn't mean it functions properly all the way up to it. In my opinion, anything above about 40C for idling is too high. As Spoon says, 50C is about the maximum your computer should hit.

Comment

Working...

]]>