title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Win XP Crashes When Ripping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • honeybunkle
    • May 2005

Win XP Crashes When Ripping

I recently converted from Win2k to Win Xp Prof SP2. I had been using DMC Audio CD Input with Power Pack to rip and convert to Lame MP3 with no problems. Since changing to Win XP when I rip a CD with many tracks (>10), the ripping will stop at the 8th track, CD-Rom will spin down, CPU is locked up, notheing works. It takes a hard re-boot with the rest to get going again. If I continue to rip where I left off, the ripping will stop at 8 tracks and freeze again. I tried removing the registry entries, removed the DMC programs, restarted XP, and reloaded only DMC-r11 registered. I tried ripping agian and same problem. I have an Athlon 1.7GZ Processor, 512 MB Mem, 1-20GB HD, 1-80GB HD, 1-120GB USB HD, using a Liteon DVDRW Drive or a TDK CDRW Drive.
    Any Idea what causing the lock up during ripping?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Win XP Crashes When Ripping

First, try converting some files to mp3 and see if it still locks up.
    It sounds like your computer may be overheating and then locking up. Try taking the side of your computer off and placing a box fan against it on high. Try converting again and see if it still crashes. If it does, try placing your index finger on your CPU heatsink. If you are nearly burned, you probably need to upgrade your CPU heatsink or get a new case fan. You may also need to reapply your CPUs thermal grease, but this is a job for someone who has done this before (aka not for new geeks).

Comment

• honeybunkle
      • May 2005

Re: Win XP Crashes When Ripping

LtData you were right on. I have a Thermotake fan on my CPU and had it running in "Silent" mode. I removed the resistor to allow the fan to speed up, restarted the CPU and have been ripping successfully since.
      Thanks a bunch for your prompt help. :smile2:

Comment

Working...

]]>