title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Midi to Wav - Volume Problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thais
    • Feb 2005

Midi to Wav - Volume Problem

Using the dMC Auxiliary Input: When converting a midi file on my hard drive to a wav file, the volume sounds fine as it is recording but when I go to play the converted wav file, it is barely audible. I set the"Midi Synth" to 3/4 the way up in the Recording Control and the VU Meter to the 5th notch from the left in the VU Meter window, as instructed in the FAQ's.

In the Recording Control, I have no "Stereo mix" control as mentioned in the FAQ. I have "Midi Synth", "Analog Mix", "Microphone" and "Wave/MP3" controls but no "Stereo mix" so I have been putting the check under the "Midi Synth" - not sure if this is correct or not but it has been working for me in the past.
    My problem now, though, is how to get the volume in the converted wav to sound as loud as the original midi.
    Thanks
    Thais
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Midi to Wav - Volume Problem

Originally posted by thais
    Using the dMC Auxiliary Input: When converting a midi file on my hard drive to a wav file, the volume sounds fine as it is recording but when I go to play the converted wav file, it is barely audible. I set the"Midi Synth" to 3/4 the way up in the Recording Control and the VU Meter to the 5th notch from the left in the VU Meter window, as instructed in the FAQ's.

In the Recording Control, I have no "Stereo mix" control as mentioned in the FAQ. I have "Midi Synth", "Analog Mix", "Microphone" and "Wave/MP3" controls but no "Stereo mix" so I have been putting the check under the "Midi Synth" - not sure if this is correct or not but it has been working for me in the past.
    My problem now, though, is how to get the volume in the converted wav to sound as loud as the original midi.
    Thanks
    Thais
    You surely can add a few more recording controls, they should be in a dop down box. Right click volume icon > Open Volume Controls > Options (Advanced Controls on) > Properties > Recording > select all volume controls shown in drop down box.

When I record from midi to wav I don't use Midi Synth, rather the Stereo Mix or What U Hear an an input source - and for that the volume is set to 3/4 of the way up.

Where you have to enable Midi or Synth is on Playback controls - best to actually enable all except microphone. Close Outlook express, any messenger programs to avoid chimes or other sounds from getting played as well.

The playback setttings come into play as you are playing your midi file through the soundcard - so midi synth has to be enabled there - but the recording has to come from Stereo mix or What U hear or perhaps Wave out on the recording panel as thsi is what comes out of the sondcard that you get to hear.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

If it's still too low for some reason or another, you can use a DSP to boost the volume...(There's an option for that in the Converter, I think....or maybe I"m thinking of a different program)

Comment

• thais
        • Feb 2005

Thanks for replying Christina. I am so frustrated with this thing. Have recorded the same thing over and over and still can't hardly hear the music when I play it after being converted.
        Here's what I have done:
        At the Auxiliary Input page:
        1. Click Options, this opens the 'dMC-Options" window
        2. Under Input Source, click 'Select' button - this opens 'Recording Control' page which now(I found where to add 'What U Hear') has 5 columns: 'Midi Synth', 'What U Hear', 'Analog Mix', Microphone', and 'Wave/mp3'. I have selected 'What U Hear' with the volume almost at the top.
        3. While in Recording Control page, I go to Options/Properties and change choice from Recording to Playback which has the following checked: Play Control, Wave/mp3, Midi Synth, CD Audio and Line In
        4. Back to the Auxiliary Input page, I click on arrow to right of Record button and choose wave.
        I then proceed to try to capture the piece of music and it appears to capture it but I can barely hear it.
        From the above, can you tell what I have done wrong?
        Thank you so much for your help.
        Thais

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Volume controls for Playback - there should be Master Volume as well as a whole bunch of others. Again pick them all from the drop down list. After that raise all the sliders to the top and only adjust the Master volume to what is comfortable. Mute the microphone and leave the others unmuted.

Comment

• thais
            • Feb 2005

Thank you so much Christina - that worked.
            Thais

Comment

Working...

]]>