title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Lame -z ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bsr5

• May 2005

Lame -z ???

I was told that -Z and a couple other commands should be used to achieve the highest quality, are these already setup in dMC? I been just using alt-preset-extreme in the built in lame..

If there is a way I can achieve better quality with a command line version could someone please walk me through it, I am an idiot. :confused: :confused:

edit: BTW, converting from .ape lossless to mp3.
  • Tomb
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Jun 2003

Re: Lame -z ???

The highest quality you can get with lame is with the presets. They have not been added or tuned for nothing! Adding the switches is not really helpful. Do you know what -Z is?

Comment

• bsr5

• May 2005

So --alt-preset-extreme or alt-preset-insane is about the highest quality I will be able to get? No way to tweak it with command line version of lame?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

There's not any higher quality you can get than 320kbps mp3, which is what your preset does, IIRC.

Comment

• Tomb
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Jun 2003

Originally posted by bsr5
          So --alt-preset-extreme or alt-preset-insane is about the highest quality I will be able to get? No way to tweak it with command line version of lame?
          The presets are command line parameters so the answer is no. See this thread for recommended Lame settings. You will also read what -Z did.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

Here's what it looks like -Z does:
            using -Z or not shouldn't be a criterium to reencode your whole music. -Z was introduced coz of some problem samples.
            So apparently -Z was used to improve some problem samples. Anyway, its now hardcoded into --alt-preset standard/extreme.
            Last edited by LtData; May 18, 2005, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Tomb
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Jun 2003

Originally posted by LtData
              Here's what it looks like -Z does:

So apparently -Z was used to improve some problem samples. Anyway, its now hardcoded into --alt-preset standard/extreme.
              Yep - it's was recommended to use -Z for a short while until it was "hardcoded". I was just concerned that bsr5 was told to use -z without knowing what it was etc etc.

Comment

Working...

]]>