title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

converting high quailty music

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • etienv
    • Aug 2002

My question is pretty simple...

I'm trying to convert my cdaudio's to high quailty mp3... when I select VBR and put the min bitrate at 192 and max at 256 (highes quailty bitrate on cdrom). When I do this the mp3 convertion sound like a broken record, skips every time the bit rate changes! I've also tried using studio quailty and get the same results.... I would like to convert my colection to mp3 using VBR, and I was wondering what is the best setting for the Lame encoder?

thanks...
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Sounds like your mp3 player might not be up to playing them?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• etienv
      • Aug 2002

I'm using winamp 2.80, isn't everyone??? besides I done a few test rips today.... even when i select constant bitrate and set the bitrate to 192, about 30 seconds into the file it skips and doesnt stop.......
      got a 52x cdrom on a 1.4GHz computer and 256MB of ram... so i dont think that speed is an issue.... beside the program even does the same thing on 1 of my computers....

Comment

• petriburg
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Apr 2002

hey etienv,
        Why on earth are you not using dBpoweramp audio player?
        It's just the best there is.
        Petriburg

Comment

• etienv
          • Aug 2002

hey,

I just had to play with db a little bit... found that ripping at 48KHz instead of 44KHz helps a little bit... but i'm starting to think its the ripping software... cause I have used dbpoweramp player as well as other players and it still does the same thing.... or maybe I'm not ripping it right.... not sure though...
          I've even ripped a consant bitrate of 128, 192 and 256Kbps and they all still produce the same skips... and in the same spots...

Keeping in mind that I'm using the same cd and track (NickelBack - Never Again) to test the converted mp3s.... I have listened to the cd and there is no skips, and the cd is clean... in fact I never use my cd's...

So I dont now, is it me or is it the software....

Any help would be great! I sorry if this sounds a bit rude, but could u please write more than 1 line of text this time... I am a UNIX Network Admin, its not like i'm a lamer here and I'm not going to understand what your telling me...

[sorry] =)

thanks
          Last edited by etienv; August 20, 2002, 05:22 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Ok two lines

Try ripping the same CD to Wave - if it is the ripping side then it should show up when creating a wave file. If that works convert this wave file to mp3 (lame) VBR, and tell me if that works.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• totalXSive
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Apr 2002

Also, try enabling 'Slow Accurate Ripping' in the Options dialog in Audio CD Input. It may be a problem with the CD, even if it doesn't appear scratched.

Comment

• philtowey
                • Jul 2002

Just to add my two penny worth, as you're using dMC why not rip to Ogg Vorbis? In my opinion, and many others, it is a superior format.
                Just a thought,
                Phil.

Comment

• totalXSive
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Apr 2002

Very true. And compatibilty becomes less of an issue every day .

Comment

• etienv
                    • Aug 2002

converting high quailty music [part iii]

OK, I done servral rips to wave, and the out still skips, and its not in the same spot... seems to be random... have tried servral cd's as well.... even a brand new one, (just bought it today).

I think its the ripping part of the soft. The mp3 works fine, cause we used a different program to rip to wave and then used dbpoweramp to convert to mp3, using the lame encoder, set to VBR with 192kbps min. and 256kbps max, and the mp3 is prefect...

Great software though!

Thanks Spoon!

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

If you are able to try the Power Pack - do it has a 'Rip to Ram' option which streams the audio off the CD drive better.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>