title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

GetPopUpInfo error with Real Alternative & DirectShow codec

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

GetPopUpInfo error with Real Alternative & DirectShow codec

Ok, I don't know which one is the culprit, but here is what happened.

I had a real media (.rm) file which required DirectShow in order to be able to convert it.

I downloaded and Installed the DirectSHow codec. Fixed the .txt file for the filters and added .rm and .ra. Also installed Real Alternative. I only installed the portion dealing with DirectShow, not the player part, nor the real media codecs that come with it, which I already have - or I think they are the same ones. In any case, I didn't want the codecs from Real Alternative to overwrite other codecs I may have which I know work. I prefer to keep Real Player as the main player for Real Media anyway.

Right after installing this stuff, I experienced for the first time ever the famous error "GetPopUpInfo has generated errors...." while hovering for just a fraction of a second over a real media file. For no other file type, mind you, just .rm (maybe other real media as well, but I didn't try others).

Prior to insatlling the DirectShow codec and that pert of Real ALterantive which I did insdtall, I didn't have that error.

Conversion through dMC worked fine and fast, with no error.
    To get rid of that error I uninstalled Real Alternative and the dBpowerAMP DirectShow codec.

So..... what should I conclude? which one is buggy?

I also occasionally experience (and have had this for a long time) a Windows Explorer error when hovering (but maybe pressing the button a bit, almost clicking on the file) over other media files, usually those associated with WMP (which is all those it can play for me in any case, so most everything - wav, mp3, etc.). Not real media files or flac or others that WMP cannot play. I don't know if this is a similar problem like the GetPopUpInfo error I was getting after the Real Alternative/DirectShow install, but the message is not the same and the WIndows Explorerr window actually closes unceremoniously at that time. For the GetPupUpInfo error the window doesn't close.

I'd like to have the DirectShow codec, so I supose I need Real Alternative. I don't want to uninstall Real Player, but I also don't want to get that GetPopUpInfo error. What to do?

I only installed once RA & DS once, used it, and then uninstalled.

I am running Windows 2000 Pro with the latest SP (4 I thnk) and all other current updates. I have dMC r 11, registered, PowerPAck and all, a slew of codecs. Running on an oldish :

1.53 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

512MB ram, 120GB HD with about 30GB free and 8MB cache.

Runs ok, mostly, apart from the occasional WIndows Explorer crapout on hovering over some media files - and I'm used to it anyway, LOL!

AVG antivirus, all clean. No firewall.

Recently defragged also, but I could do another if it matters, though I doubt it.
  • adaywayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2004

Re: GetPopUpInfo error with Real Laternative & DirectShow codec

If you already have RealPlayer, why was it necessary to install Real Alternative?
    Also, is your DirectX up to date?

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Re: GetPopUpInfo error with Real Alternative & DirectShow codec

Originally posted by adaywayne
      If you already have RealPlayer, why was it necessary to install Real Alternative?
      Also, is your DirectX up to date?
      DirectX is up to date. Real Alternative is required in order to get the DirectShow filters. Only following instructions (I hope ), not pretending to know what I'm doing :D

Until I installed that bit of Real Alternative the conversion did not work. But as I said, I did not install the Real ALternative PLayer itself, only the part pertaining to DirectShow . Maybe I should have installed a bit more of it, but I didn't want to clash with Real Player. It does say in the beginning of the installation of Real Alternative that it is recommended to uninstall Real Player. Didn't really want to do that. I don't much care for "alternative" stuff in general. Now maybe those DirectShow filters are also available through Real Player, but I didn't try to find out. The dBpowerAMP instructions only refer to Real Alternative for that.

PS: Don't you hate it when you have a whopper of a typo right in the title of a thread and you can't fix it any more?
      Last edited by ChristinaS; May 04, 2005, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• adaywayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2004

Re: GetPopUpInfo error with Real Alternative & DirectShow codec

You are way ahead of me! I'm still using the old "real-time" codec on the few occasions I need to convert an RA file.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by ChristinaS
        DirectX is up to date. Real Alternative is required in order to get the DirectShow filters. Only following instructions (I hope ), not pretending to know what I'm doing :D

Until I installed that bit of Real Alternative the conversion did not work. But as I said, I did not install the Real ALternative PLayer itself, only the part pertaining to DirectShow . Maybe I should have installed a bit more of it, but I didn't want to clash with Real Player. It does say in the beginning of the installation of Real Alternative that it is recommended to uninstall Real Player. Didn't really want to do that. I don't much care for "alternative" stuff in general. Now maybe those DirectShow filters are also available through Real Player, but I didn't try to find out. The dBpowerAMP instructions only refer to Real Alternative for that.

PS: Don't you hate it when you have a whopper of a typo right in the title of a thread and you can't fix it any more?

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

LOL, I'd not have bothered but that particular real media file could not be converted without the DirectShow codec. It screamed that at me on my first attempt without it :D

Comment

• adaywayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
            LOL, I'd not have bothered but that particular real media file could not be converted without the DirectShow codec. It screamed that at me on my first attempt without it :D
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Christina, I do have Real Alternative including the Media Player Classic. I downloaded the encoder and the DirectShow Encode from Codec Central. When installing the DS decoder did you read Spoon's help file about configuring DirectShow, including adding the appropriate extension (.ra .rm) to notepad, saving, and then then opening dBPowerAmp Music Converter Configuration? Perhaps you don't need the MPC itself, though you could always install it and then uninstall it later.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by myself
              downloaded and Installed the DirectSHow codec. Fixed the .txt file for the filters and added .rm and .ra. Also installed Real Alternative. I only installed the portion dealing with DirectShow, not the player part, nor the real media codecs that come with it, which I already have - or I think they are the same ones. In any case, I didn't want the codecs from Real Alternative to overwrite other codecs I may have which I know work. I prefer to keep Real Player as the main player for Real Media anyway.
              So yes, I did all that according to my best understanding of the process. But I didn't want any other player, not Media Player Classic, not Real Alternative - I want to keep my originals - so I didn't install the players themselves.

if I wasn't worried of messing something up, I'd go through it and deal with uninstalling just the pieces I don't want to keep. But I really don't want to bother uninstalling and reinstalling RP which I've configure just right for my needs.

As I said, the conversions worked fine, the only thing was any hover over a real media file would crash GetPopUpInfo . Despite the crash I could still right click and convert it. Crashes stopped once I uninstalled RA and the DirectShow codec. Not sure which one was the culprit.
              Last edited by ChristinaS; May 05, 2005, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• adaywayne
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2004

[QUOTE=ChristinaS]

As I said, the conversions worked fine,
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                oh, sorry, I misssed that part of your post. I thought you still could not convert.
                Cheers.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Nah, all conversions worked just fine. It's just the silly GetPupUpInfo crash for real media files on hover. But this forced me to uninstall that stuff until I have the energy to try again piecemeal and see what makes it crash exactly, as it could be a couple of different things. Maybe if I install more of the modules of RealALternative it will work perfectly, but that's what I didn't try.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Crashes for all rm files on the popup?
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Spoon
                      Crashes for all rm files on the popup?
                      Well, it crashed on the one .rm file which needed the DirectSshow codec installed (no crash with other media types). But I did manage to convert it OK just the same in dMC. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to test with other .rm files to see if GetPopUpInfo would crash on all .rm files, as I had none handy at the time.

I have uninstalled DirectShow and Real Alternative in the meawhile and it no longer crashes with that same .rm file, or any real media files .

I will reinstall the same way as before and try to recreate the problem and see if it also happens with other .rm files that wouldn't require DirectShow, I do have some around somewhere.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Ok, bit the bullet and redid the whole thing.

1) Downloaded fresh copy of Real Alternative (v 1.37). I have Real Player installed and did not uninstall it - would like to keep it. Installed only the DirectShow part of Real Alteranative as shown in pic attached.
                        Verified and no GetPopUpInfo crash on any real media files at this point.

2) Downloaded fresh copy of DirectShow codec from Codec central and installed it. Added .rm and .ra extensions to the file DSExt.txt .
                        GetPopUpInfo crashes now on all .rm files I have, regardless of whether they need or nor not DirectShow.

Also ran Configure DirectSow by itself - confirmed it had been done.
                        Also ran dMC Configuration and it showed the DirectShow codec as being there.

Rebooted.

Ran dMC Configuration again. Ran Configure DirectShow again. All looks the same.
                        GetPopUpInfo crashes for all .rm files. At times Windows Explorer freezes and no longer responds too, after this crash.

No crash on other media types. Well, except for a Windows Explorer crash now and then on hover over media types played by Windows media Player (wmp 9), which is most of them - this is an old problem. It looks like these explorer crashes are on a hover with an "almost click, left or right". If I don't dilly-dally and click properly, no explorer crash happens.

I am running W 2K pro - SP4.
                        512MB ram. 1.5GHz AMD Athlon.

Comment

• Wayne
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Aug 2002

Have you retained the original dBpowerAMP real audio decoder or did you uninstall it?

Wayne

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Wayne
                            Have you retained the original dBpowerAMP real audio decoder or did you uninstall it?

Wayne
                            I uninstalled nothing at all. Did not install a new version of the real media codec either. Just DirectShow and Real Alternative DirecShow filters. Nothing else. No Real ALterabtive player.

To get rid of the error I have uninstall the DirectSHow codec and whatever of Real Alternative is installed.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Will note as a bug.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>