title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cure for frozen computer in dMC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petriburg
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2002

Cure for frozen computer in dMC

Hello all !
    I'm posting this in the hope that, sometime in the future, it may be of help to another dMC user. Yesterday, I downloaded an mp3 file from a p2p source. Later, I opened the folder in which this download was installed so that I could edit the ID tag to my "standard" configuration. Although I had no other applications running, right clicking on the filename and selecting "rename" produced an error message "windows cannot rename this file because it is in use by another computer or program" (or words to that general effect"). There was nothing else running. Thinking this might be a bogus file, I then tried to delete it. Same result, but the computer in both cases ran dead slow, and I could not close out of the Windows Explorer window. Later, I tried to perform similar operations in safe mode, and got the same result. Opened Task Manager, clicked 'performance' tab, and it showed my CPU to be running at 98% capacity. Clicked 'applications' tab, and it indicated that Explorer was using this CPU capacity.
    Idea!!!! Went to dMC configuration window, unticked the boxes for 'Popup info tips', 'Explorer ID Tags property pages', and 'Explorer columns'. Then I reverted to the file in question, tried to repeat the operation and Bingo I was immediately able to edit the Tag. Then back to dMC configuration window and re-tick those tick boxes. Problem solved

This is a long post but I hope that somebody will find the information useful,
    but, if it has been posted before, then, moderators, please delete it!
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Cure for frozen computer in dMC

thanks for the tips. i wonder why this occurs? it's almost like dmc has locked on to it some how. and this only occurrs when downloading p2p files?

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Razgo
      thanks for the tips. i wonder why this occurs? it's almost like dmc has locked on to it some how. and this only occurrs when downloading p2p files?
      There may be some other information stored in the file's attributes that may cause that. If I look at properties > advanced > summary, there are a lot of fields similar to id tags that can hold a lot of information about the file.
      Or maybe the file is compressed (as defined in the file attributes).

Comment

• petriburg
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Apr 2002

Christina, Razgo. I'm not sure what actually is the underlying cause, but my theory is that it is probably in the construction of the tag. In this particular case, it was an eponymous album, and the tag read as follows: (Track number)(space) group name, space (group name) - (song title).mp3.
        I believe there's a strong possibility that the double entry of the group name was causing Windows Explorer to try and open the file tag twice at the same time, causing Explorer to become somehow confused? I leave the technical explanation (if any) to the experts, of which select group I am not one!

Comment

• kimmchii
          • Mar 2005

could you send me the mp3 file? at

concentration at gmail dot com

i'm interested to find out whether it will freeze my system too. thx.

Comment

• petriburg
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Apr 2002

Kimmchii: Sorry - I deleted the file a short time ago. However, I will send you a message on gmail to let you know the source.

Comment

• kimmchii
              • Mar 2005

ok, i've finished playing with the file and it didnt cause any cpu spike nor windows explorer freeze,

'Popup info tips', 'Explorer ID Tags property pages', and 'Explorer columns' are all checked.

i have xp sp2, i think you must have other software that conflict with dMC.

Comment

• petriburg
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Apr 2002

I don't think it's any conflict in my computer - I haven't experienced any similar problems in more than 4 years of using dMC, firstly with Win 98, and now with Win XP sp2. Just something weird, it seems. Did you try to change the filename, or cut/paste it to another location? Both of these tasks brought strange results in my case. I suppose it could also be that the file you've downloaded is a different one, tho' it looks exactly similar. I wonder if it was anything to do with the download source? There were 35+ sources for this particular file at the time I selected. Clutching at straws? - maybe. But regardless, if anyone else runs into a similar problem, there is a known cure for it, now.

Comment

• kimmchii
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by petriburg
                  Did you try to change the filename, or cut/paste it to another location?
                  yes, i've tried all that. no problem.

check your email i'm gonna send the file to you.

if it locks you up again, try run unlocker see what is locking you up.

Comment

Working...

]]>