title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MP3 to WMA

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sghalliday
    • Apr 2005

MP3 to WMA

I have a bunch of MP3s that I want to put into my portable player except that I want to use WMA to get the best space usage that I can.

I am trying to use Music Converter to do this. I have installed the WMA 9 and 9.1 codecs but I am having one of two problems. depending on the settings I use, I either get a 5k file no matter what the source OR I get a file that is bigger than the MP3.

I am a neophyte at this stuff and do not understand the various options CBR, VBR, Quality etc. What setting do you recommend so that I can get the small file size of wma to get more songs on my portable player

thanks

...steve
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: MP3 to WMA

Unless you want the sound quality to decrease, keep your mp3 files. Transcoding is NEVER a good idea.
    As for the larger file sizes, try using the CBR bitrate setting one tick below the mp3's setting. More info about bitrate, CBR and etc. is here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/spoons-aud...de-formats.htm

Comment

• sghalliday
      • Apr 2005

Thanks for the link.

I realize that transcoding is not a good idea, but this is just for the kids players and I already have the CDs purchased in MP3 format.

The link helped because I had not realized the meaning of CBR and VBR. With your advice and the link I now have what I need :smile2:

...steve

Comment

• neilthecellist
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2004

Best if you read the WHOLE guide, and not what you just need. There are even better audio codecs out there, like Musepack and Ogg Vorbis, be creative and test out each codec to see what you(and your kids! ) like.

Comment

Working...

]]>