title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Audio CD question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tufunuf
    • Apr 2005

Audio CD question

My knowledge of audio software is verrry limited. I record sermon tapes for the church. I record them on CD's.

Here is my problem.

I recorded the morning and evening services on two separate CD's. I combined the two CD's with my WavePad software. I then convert the combined CD's to MP3 format. I then burn the combined file onto a CD for those people that request a copy of the sermons.

In the past few weeks everything has gone ok. But, this Sunday the combined file ran over 80 minutes (both sermons combined). I converted the combined sermon(s) to MP3. The converted size 120 MB is no problem. But, the total minutes on this particular sermon (132 mins.) is a problem. Is it possible to get this combined audio sermon on one CD? I had always heard that if you converted your audio CD to MP3, the size of the file was the only thing that would restrict you. Not the time length of the file? I guess I heard wrong!

Thanks in advance.
  • ShaneR
    • Apr 2004

Re: Audio CD question

When you are burning the MP3 file to cd, or you creating an MP3 cd, or an audio cd? It sounds like you must be doing audio if it's running over...

Comment

• Tufunuf
      • Apr 2005

I am creating an audio CD. The file consists of a voice recording of the preachers sermon.

Thanks.

Comment

• ShaneR
        • Apr 2004

Alrighty...that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure it was audio

What happens, when burning an MP3 to audio disk, is that the MP3 is then converted back to audio. So, the Size of MP3 file will make no difference; it will take up the same amount of space on the disk as the orginal would have before you converted to mp3.

So, your only options are 1)burn as an mp3 cd; 2) use 2 cds; 3) see if you can edit the wave files down to 80mins by removing silence, or editing out parts of the sermon that you may not need or want.
        Last edited by ShaneR; April 20, 2005, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Tufunuf
          • Apr 2005

I have essentially taken all of the silence out that I can. How do I go about burning as an MP3 CD? I am not that accustomed to working with this type of material. I just recently started recording the CD's and working with them in sound software programs.

Thanks again for any help.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Next time tell the pastor or priest or whatever man of cloth does the talking to be a bit briefer - and quicker - 130 minutes is way beyond nap time :D

Seriously though, you will not be able to fit the two audio files on one cd unless you chop them to under 80 minutes combined.

To make an mp3 cd means simply making a data cd. If you're using dCW then you have an option called mp3 cd. You just select that instead of audio cd and then the files you want included and that's all it takes.

However making an mp3 cd will probably not be good for many people who don't have mp3 cd players. If people want to play it on the sound system at home or in their car, unless they have a recent cd player that supports the mp3 format (not all that common in ordinary sound systems yet), they will not be able to listen to it except on a computer.

Make 2 audio cd's and be done.
            Last edited by ChristinaS; April 20, 2005, 02:50 AM.

Comment

• ShaneR
              • Apr 2004

Well, most burning applications should have the option to do so. However, it is just a data cd. So, you would get the mp3 on there as you would any other data file (word document etc etc).

Keep in mind, though, that the person using the cd would need a drive capable of reading it. that is to say, some older cd players in stereo systems don't support it. But, anyone with a computer is fine.

Hope that made sense

EDIT: What she said, up there, above me, the slow guy. :D

Comment

• Tufunuf
                • Apr 2005

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. I imagine I will take the easy route and copy the CD's separate.

Tuf

Comment

Working...

]]>