title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

can't lower bit rate to 48

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riverstrat
    • Apr 2005

can't lower bit rate to 48

I'm trying to shrink a file and I get a licens expire notice is that why it won't shrink?
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: can't lower bit rate to 48

Originally posted by riverstrat
    I'm trying to shrink a file and I get a licens expire notice is that why it won't shrink?
    If your trial period is over, you now have to register the dBpowerAMP Music Converter program in order to continue using the Lame mp3 encoding codec.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

This is because the owner of the mp3 patent named Thompson (now the owner of the patent for mp3; used to be Fraunhofer, I think) decided to charge license fees for whoever/whatever program uses mp3 encoding.

It's not just dBpowerAMP Music Converter, look at Winamp! In Winamp, if you want to encode/rip to mp3, you have to purchase Winamp Pro! (credits to LtData for saying this before in another thread)
      Last edited by neilthecellist; April 17, 2005, 04:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to give credit

Comment

• riverstrat
        • Apr 2005

Thanks all,

I registered by paying the $14 last night, but still get that popup saying "...encoding license has expired..."

Also though, when I right click properties on the file I see that I have a 'wave sound' file .
        I use Krystal Audio Engine ,looks like it transports as a wave file, I need mp3 lame file to upload to Song Ramp don't I ? Is Db converter going to handle that ?
        A few days ago I had no problem uploading to song ramp but can't remember the exact sequence I went through to get it done.

Do I need to re install db music converter will that take care of this problem ?

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Thanks all,

I registered by paying the $14 last night, but still get that popup saying "...encoding license has expired..."

Also though, when I right click properties on the file I see that I have a 'wave sound' file .
          I use Krystal Audio Engine ,looks like it transports as a wave file, I need mp3 lame file to upload to Song Ramp don't I ? Is Db converter going to handle that ?
          A few days ago I had no problem uploading to song ramp but can't remember the exact sequence I went through to get it done.

Do I need to re install db music converter will that take care of this problem ?
          dMC won't know that you got the license unless you install the registered version that you get to download from the link given in the email you were supposed to receive after registering. Until that happens you cannot encode to mp3 using the Lame codec.

What are Krystal Audio Engine and Song Ramp?

---

OK, Google found the answers.
          KRISTAL Audio Engine is a powerful multi-track recorder, audio sequencer and mixer - ideal for anyone wanting to get started with recording, mixing and mastering digital audio.
          Presumably software, rather than hardware (I didn't go into the details). And naturally the recording format would be to .wav. It might offer compression to mp3 or other formats, don't know.

Song Ramp is a web site where artists maintain a profile page and upload their own songs. The format is mp3.

Therefore in order to uplaod to Song Ramp (they would have a function available to registered artists) your song have to be encoded to mp3 and not be any bigger than 5MB.

At 128kbps you can encode about a 5-minute stereo song to mp3 and it will be about 5B (it could be a bit over though). Lowring the bitrate will lower the file size in proportion but will also reduce the audio quality.
          You may need to upload your song encode under several different bitrates in order to cater to visitors to the SongRamp site with dial-up internet connections (so it has to be no more than 48kbps) as well as high speed. I don't know what they require, you should know as a member.
          Last edited by ChristinaS; April 17, 2005, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• riverstrat
            • Apr 2005

Thanks Christina,

Krystal is a is a pc recording studio , I have the free version you can upgrade to access better tools.

Song ramp.com is a great site for showing your music to anyone online.

This is free and so awesome , you can upgrade (for $30 I think it is), so a password can be assigned to your tunes allowing only select , invited listeners, if you need to protect your tune.

Ted

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Thanks Christina,

Krystal is a is a pc recording studio , I have the free version you can upgrade to access better tools.

Song ramp.com is a great site for showing your music to anyone online.

This is free and so awesome , you can upgrade (for $30 I think it is), so a password can be assigned to your tunes allowing only select , invited listeners, if you need to protect your tune.

Ted
              I guess Song Ramp is another offshoot after the demise of the original mp3.com site a year or so ago.

For unlimited space I and many others advocate www.acidplanet.com . You don't sell off of that site, nor do you actually protect your music, but you get feedback from others.

Comment

• riverstrat
                • Apr 2005

I think you're right ,
                I heard someting to that effect a while back.

Ted

Comment

Working...

]]>