title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

linux + wine wma encoding

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xspringe
    • Apr 2005

linux + wine wma encoding

Hello everyone!

I'd like to ask if anyone here has tried encoding wav files to wma in a linux environment using wine?

I'd like to create a server that allows for server side wma encoding, but I'd hate to have to install windows 2k3 due to security it's less then stellar security. If anyone can provide me with their experiences with wma encoding and wine I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Re: linux + wine wma encoding

Hey guys I have the same question as Xspringe except mine is a bit more broad and ambigious: How do you get Wine to even run dBpowerAMP? I've tried sooooooo much and it's failed. (I'm using Knoppix Live to try this)

Comment

• Xspringe
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by neilthecellist
      Hey guys I have the same question as Xspringe except mine is a bit more broad and ambigious: How do you get Wine to even run dBpowerAMP? I've tried sooooooo much and it's failed. (I'm using Knoppix Live to try this)
      I haven't tried myself yet as I do not have access to a linux computer at the moment. But maybe you could try installing microsoft's windows media encoder and try to encode wma files with that? At least until someone tells you how to install dbpoweramp properly...

Good luck.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2004

I'm not really surprised by that... Knoppix is a Boot-From-CD only Linux Distro right? So it doesnt really want to play with a HDD and such... I imagine there's just simply some hardware issues there

PS: Neil, If you like Live Linux distros try SlaX, just to see what's different out there ya know? I like SlaX a bit better than Knoppix
        Last edited by iTunesIsEvil; April 03, 2005, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

iTunesIsEvil, would I have some luck if I used Mandrake Linux installed on my hard drive?

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Dec 2004

iTunesIsEvil, would I have some luck if I used Mandrake Linux installed on my hard drive?
            I can't guarantee it, but I would imagine db would play quite a bit nicer if it had a more standard hardware situation to play with... Can't really hurt to try amigo...

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

lol Thanks iTunesIsEvil.

But let's get back to helping Xspringe.....

Does anyone have a solution here for him/her???!

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Xpringe
                I'd like to ask if anyone here has tried encoding wav files to wma in a linux environment using wine?

I'd like to create a server that allows for server side wma encoding, but I'd hate to have to install windows 2k3 due to security it's less then stellar security. If anyone can provide me with their experiences with wma encoding and wine I'd greatly appreciate it.
                Well, if you've already got the Linux server, just do some trial and error. If it doesn't work then it doesnt work. Just try it out, playing with Linux is about the most frustrating and rewarding thing ever! So if you get it to work, just think of the sense of accomplishment.

For some reason I'm thinking there's got to be a fairly simple way to get to WMA under Linux. DVD Jon has a post on his site about VLC playing WMA/WMV format.

Comment

• Xspringe
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by iTunesIsEvil
                  Well, if you've already got the Linux server, just do some trial and error. If it doesn't work then it doesnt work. Just try it out, playing with Linux is about the most frustrating and rewarding thing ever! So if you get it to work, just think of the sense of accomplishment.

For some reason I'm thinking there's got to be a fairly simple way to get to WMA under Linux. DVD Jon has a post on his site about VLC playing WMA/WMV format.
                  I'm not running one yet. I should have access to a computer with linux installed within a few days, but I'm trying to gather as much information on encoding wma in a linux environment beforehand.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

you can run it under wine by downloading the dap/dmcversion from frankscorner http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4286

Comment

Working...

]]>