title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Audio CD Input Not reading CDs correctly

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maiki
    • Mar 2005

Audio CD Input Not reading CDs correctly

I have an audio book, which comes on 6 CDs. I wanted to compress it with WMA 9 Voice codec, which can compress very small with decent quality for spoken word. DBPoweramp is the only program I know of that can easily use this codec. I think Windows Media Encoder can, but it doesn't rip, it would be much more hassle to use. (I have done this before, with other audio books, WMA9 Voice with DBPoweramp.)

There are many short tracks on each of the 6 CDs. THe first CD ripped fine, 21 tracks.

The second CD has 18 tracks. I put it in the CD player, clicked refresh on the DBPoweramp window showing the tracks. At first it kept displaying "Insert Audio CD", although the CD was already there. Finally there was a track listing--but it only showed one track -0 seconds long!

I exited DBPoweramp, started it up again, once more it read only one track, 0 seconds. (If I open the CD with Windows Media Player, or any other program that opens CDs, they show the 18 tracks.) I rebooted the computer, tried again, same problem. I tried with a different CD drive, same problem.

I also tried CDs 3 and 4, and they also appeared as CD 2, only showing one track at zero length. If I try to rip anyhow, I get an error message.

What is going on with this strange behavior of DBPA? Any way I can fix this? INI file setting? Registry Tweak?

I really would appreciate some help with this, so that I can finish ripping and encoding the audio book.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Audio CD Input Not reading CDs correctly

Try toggling the option for Table of Contents detection
    Arrow beside Options --> Standard CD Player Emulation --> Table of Contents detection
    Also, try holding down the left shift-key just before and for 15 seconds after you insert the CD. It sounds like your CDs are copy protected.

Comment

• maiki
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by LtData
      Try toggling the option for Table of Contents detection
      Arrow beside Options --> Standard CD Player Emulation --> Table of Contents detection
      Also, try holding down the left shift-key just before and for 15 seconds after you insert the CD. It sounds like your CDs are copy protected.
      Thank you. The Shift key thing didn't work.

However, turning off the "Table of Contents detection" worked. Thank you. :smile2:

What is that, "Table of Contents detection"? Something just in DBPA? What does it do, and why does it have problems with some CDs?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Some copy-protected CDs apparently have a ToC that isn't correct for the CD, but is made to keep people from trying to rip the CDs.

Comment

Working...

]]>