title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

music files in asf formmat to aac??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thienthien
    • Mar 2005

music files in asf formmat to aac??

Hi, I have some songs that I downloaded from the internet but the format is in asf and could be played in windows media player but I couldn't add it into itunes or burn it onto a cd. What should i do. please helpp!!
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: music files in asf formmat to aac??

Originally posted by thienthien
    Hi, I have some songs that I downloaded from the internet but the format is in asf and could be played in windows media player but I couldn't add it into itunes or burn it onto a cd. What should i do. please helpp!!
    The .asf format is the same as .wma if it's audio only, or .wmv if it's video.

Assuming it's just audio, rename your file to the .wma extension and work with that and convert it to whatever format you may need.

Now make sure you actually have the file itself, not just the meta file (if it's really small like 1-2k it is the meta file and you can edit it in Notepad to see the address of the true media file somewehre on the internet still). You can't convert the meta file, you have to manage to download the actual media file itself.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

and if it comes out as mms:// you're screwed. Auxiliary Input for that.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
        and if it comes out as mms:// you're screwed. Auxiliary Input for that.
        Actually for mms:// you can use the SDP program from http://sdp.ppona.com to capture it off the web as it streams.

Comment

• adaywayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
          Actually for mms:// you can use the SDP program from http://sdp.ppona.com to capture it off the web as it streams.

Christina, doesn't Aux Input do exactly the same thing for ANY streaming audio?

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by adaywayne
            Christina, doesn't Aux Input do exactly the same thing for ANY streaming audio?
            Yes, dMC Auxiliary Input does do this for anything that comes through your soundcard, be it streaming audio, the tracks of a flash movie, midi generated audio - but it does this by reinterpreting the audio afterr it has gone through your soundcard, so you on fact are recording it all over again, to .wav (or converted towhatever format you decide to use).

The SDP program actually downloads and saves on your pc the original file that is being streamed from the server under the mms:// protocol, not just http.

Comment

• thienthien
              • Mar 2005

Hi ChristinaS, they are songs and I can play them on windows media play. The size of each are like 1,930 KB or 922 KB. Are those the meta file? You said I can you may needrename your file to the .wma extension and work with that and convert it to whatever format , but how do I do that. Do I just click properties of the file?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by thienthien
                Hi ChristinaS, they are songs and I can play them on windows media play. The size of each are like 1,930 KB or 922 KB. Are those the meta file? You said I can you may needrename your file to the .wma extension and work with that and convert it to whatever format , but how do I do that. Do I just click properties of the file?
                At that size they are not meta files, they are the actual files.

You right click the file name and use Rename. You will enter the same name but instead of the .asf extension, you put the .wma extension.

If you don't usually see file extensions for your file names, you have to enable that: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5361

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

and if you haven't enabled it and you've gotten by so far in the audio world, can i ask you a question? How have you been able to tell which file is which by format? e.g. How can you tell if one file is mp3 and another wma?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

The thing is the current version of dMC correctly handles .asf files and converts them (as long as you have the wma codecs). So in fact the renaming of the extension is not necesary.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                      How have you been able to tell which file is which by format? e.g. How can you tell if one file is mp3 and another wma?
                      If you have the "Type" column visible/enabled in an explorer window you'll be told what type(s) of file(s) you have. For instance the 'Type' column shows 'MP3 File' for my MP3s and it shows 'Windows Media Audio file' for my WMAs.

So that would be a clue, but seeing 'Windows Media Audio file' wouldn't really mean for sure that someone would know that file's extension is .wma. Just like "Visual Studio Solution File" doesn't really mean one would know that file has a .sln extension. If you know then you know, if not then you need to have extensions visible.... hehheh.

Comment

• thienthien
                        • Mar 2005

THANKS ChristinaS. It works now. I did what you said as to rename them and I changed from .asx to .wma and it can be played on other programs. Thanks!! I have been asking around on how to convert it and no results. thanks!!!

thienthien!!

Comment

Working...

]]>