title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cannot convert audio tracks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaddogBC
    • Mar 2005

Cannot convert audio tracks

i apologize if this has been previously covered but i was unable to find similar threads

i used dbpoweramp quite sucessfully last fall, now getting back into it i find i am unable to do ripping of any kind to mp3 or wma formats the only two i use. is this the result of my expired powerpack only? ie will registering give me the ability to rip as i did before?
    i am not certain but i believe the 30 day trial ran out before and i was still ripping with no trouble. i recently upgraded to xp and reinstalled poweramp to an already expired license
    the error message i receive is
    The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Converted Music\Bryan Adams - Don't Drop That Bomb On Me.wma' could not be opened.
    i have tried to install many varied codecs to no avail

i really enjoy the program and would gladly register if Spoon were able to accept paypal payments
    Thanks for your time.
  • adaywayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2004

Re: Cannot convert audio tracks

PayPal is accepted with a £1.62 processing fee. However, you should be able to rip to wma without registration.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by MaddogBC
      i apologize if this has been previously covered but i was unable to find similar threads

i used dbpoweramp quite sucessfully last fall, now getting back into it i find i am unable to do ripping of any kind to mp3 or wma formats the only two i use. is this the result of my expired powerpack only? ie will registering give me the ability to rip as i did before?
      i am not certain but i believe the 30 day trial ran out before and i was still ripping with no trouble. i recently upgraded to xp and reinstalled poweramp to an already expired license
      the error message i receive is
      The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Converted Music\Bryan Adams - Don't Drop That Bomb On Me.wma' could not be opened.
      i have tried to install many varied codecs to no avail

i really enjoy the program and would gladly register if Spoon were able to accept paypal payments
      Thanks for your time.
      The previous version of dMC did not require a license for using the mp3 encoding codecs. The PowerPack was for different purposes.

The latest version of dMC requires having a license for using the mp3 encoder codecs, due to changes in patent regulations governing the use of mp3 encoding codecs. This license has been bundled in the new version of the dMC, thus Powerpack as well.

So if you have installed dMC R 11 you have to register it (therefore buy the license) in order to be able to use the mp3 encoding codecs.

As for wma, there are new codecs to be installed that work with WMP v 10 under Windows XP.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

The expired PowerPack will keep you from ripping to mp3. You should still be able to rip to .wma, though. Try uninstalling everything dbPowerAmp related and installing everything again from new downloaded copies.

Also, PayPay payments ARE accepted when registering. I just checked. There is a $3 fee for this, though. Just remember that a third-party collects the payment and then gives the money to Spoon.

Edit: Forgot about the new system codecs that you need for the new wma codecs. Instructions are on the .wma codec download page. Please follow them explicitly.
        Last edited by LtData; March 20, 2005, 03:59 AM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

besides, in the original dMC's, you still had to download the WMA codecs. Either you installed to a non-default directory or just somehow something got screwed over during installation.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Check which settings are used for the Codec (either WMA & mp3), some combinations do not work. What are your wma compression settings?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MaddogBC
              • Mar 2005

Thank you all for the fantastic response, tis greatly appreciated

i use 96kbps 44khz stereo as a wma format but am wide open to suggestions as to what is best

for using my home cd collection on my mp3 portable i have been ripping with audio cd input into mp3 lame 192, 44, stereo then converting to wma for my player

christina kindly mentioned new codecs with windows media player 10? i will look for these. am not sure if i am using wmp 10

i'm mostly looking to convert my entire cd collection over to hard drive so i can store my cds before they deteriorate further. Computers are a common appliance in our household and my wife, myself, and our oldest daughter use portable players. I plug mine into my house stereo, my truck, and my jobsite radio. carrying cds around is a thing of the past, i became very alarmed when i couldn't get poweramp to work right.

i'm going to register for this fine program right now so i assume that will solve most of my problems. thanks again for your help.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Consider ripping to wma lossless first for storage on your computer and then converting to either mp3 or lower bitrate wma as you need for portable players. The wma lossless format saves nearly 50% of the space required for the full wav. You can reconstitute your original audio cd and there is no quality loss at all.

Comment

• MaddogBC
                  • Mar 2005

Alright i would like to try wma lossless, i just registered and can write mp3 lame no trouble
                  for lossless settings what is the best khz setting to be able to restore original cd quality.
                  also does extra channels take up alot of room? ie 2 chanel versus 5.1? because my work radio is only 2 channel anyway and is where i use them the most. however on my computer system it woul be nice to use the high quality 5.1 setup.

thank you for your time

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by MaddogBC
                    Alright i would like to try wma lossless, i just registered and can write mp3 lame no trouble
                    for lossless settings what is the best khz setting to be able to restore original cd quality.
                    also does extra channels take up alot of room? ie 2 chanel versus 5.1? because my work radio is only 2 channel anyway and is where i use them the most. however on my computer system it woul be nice to use the high quality 5.1 setup.

thank you for your time
                    A normal audio cd track is really a 16-bit 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo PCM wav. Converting to anything with higher bits or frequency or more channels is overkill and unnecessary, also resulting in a waste of space for no gain in quality.

If you want to rip an audio cd to wma lossless, you select Windows Media 9 Audio 9 Lossless and from there VBR Quality 100, 44KHz, 2 Channel 16 bit VBR.

I am using Windows 2000 so I don't have WMP 10. Not sure if different selections actually appear for XP and WMA 9.1- but it would be something similar anyway (I think it would mention 9.1).

Comment

Working...

]]>