title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Receiving errors when I try to convert mp3s to lower bitrate using LAME

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IamDS
    • Mar 2005

Receiving errors when I try to convert mp3s to lower bitrate using LAME

Whenever I try to convert my higher bitrate mp3s to 128 kbps, I receive error messages like this: "The CODEC required to compress 'C:\Documents and Settings\Cue\My Documents\Ripped Albums\C2B3\01-Buckethead.mp3.TEMP.mp3' could not be opened."

Any ideas?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Receiving errors when I try to convert mp3s to lower bitrate using LAME

Has your trial for the PowerPack expired? Check your dMC Configuration (Start --> programs --> dbPowerAmp Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration) to see if it has. Also, what is the bitrate of these mp3s? and where did they come from?

Comment

• IamDS
      • Mar 2005

Yes, it has expired.

The MP3s I'm converting are from ripped CDs, and range bitrate-wise. I'm converting them now because my HD space is running low.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by IamDS
        Yes, it has expired.

The MP3s I'm converting are from ripped CDs, and range bitrate-wise. I'm converting them now because my HD space is running low.
        Well, you cannot use dMC with the mp3 encoding codec if the trial period has expired and you did not register it.

Comment

• Tomb
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jun 2003

You could always use the generic CLI codec with lame.exe or use another frontend to encode to mp3. However I would urge you to register the software as it's a bargain at $14 (£7.30/€10.50)

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

Excellent price, really. I would pay if I had the money, but I'm just a beginning high school student at TPHS (http://www.tphs.net). Really, it's worth it.

Comment

• IamDS
              • Mar 2005

Well, I'd like to register it, but I don't really have any money.

What is the generic CLI codec?

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2004

go to Codec Central. go to the top of this page and click on Codec Central. Scroll until you find the mp3 codecs and under some of 'em should be the mp3 generic codec.

Comment

• IamDS
                  • Mar 2005

Thank you

Comment

• neilthecellist
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2004

your welcome.

Comment

• Tomb
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Jun 2003

The CLI lame mp3 encoder features an out of date codec although you can change the version included to a later one.

I was talking about the generic CLI codec. This enables you to use any command line codec, such as lame.exe, with the music converter.

You will also need to download lame.exe for it to work.

The argument would be something like this:

[InFile] [OutFile] --preset standard (or whatever argument you wish to use)
                      Last edited by Tomb; March 28, 2005, 09:59 AM. Reason: Some more info

Comment

Working...

]]>