title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

The Best Choiche ??? Mp3 To Ogg ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caddyjag2000
    • Mar 2005

The Best Choiche ??? Mp3 To Ogg ?

Sorry for the disturbance, but I' curios to know something about the conversion from mp3 to other formats. http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/newthrea...ewthread&f=10#

I have about 12 GB of Mp3 in my hard disk but I feel that it's necessary having more free space.

What's the best conversion from mp3 to ohter format, saving space but without loosing qualitiy ? http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/newthrea...ewthread&f=10#
    Frown
    I though Ogg/Vorbis is the best choice, you can confirm my idea ?
    What the best setting ??? ( I use DBpoer AMP Music Converter )

Thank you to everybody. http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/misc.php...=0&forumid=10#
    Komisch7http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10#
    Komisch12
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: The Best Choiche ??? Mp3 To Ogg ?

when transcoding you will always loose quality. from what bitrate are you transcoding from? if your mp3's are 128 then try transcoding to ogg or wma VBR- choose below 128.

just test one file and see how it sounds.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

er, dude, lossy means LOSE quality. LossLESS means the quality will be retained at the expense of a bigger file, I mean BIGGER (around 30-80 megs per file)

For the best lossy, do Musepack, (recommended by Spoon), mpeg 1 layer 4 would be my next choice, and ogg vorbis would be my 3rd choice. (ogg Vorbis hurts my ears sometimes...way too high treble levels)

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
        er, dude, lossy means LOSE quality. LossLESS means the quality will be retained at the expense of a bigger file, I mean BIGGER (around 30-80 megs per file)

For the best lossy, do Musepack, (recommended by Spoon), mpeg 1 layer 4 would be my next choice, and ogg vorbis would be my 3rd choice. (ogg Vorbis hurts my ears sometimes...way too high treble levels)
        Yes, but when you start from mp3, you are pretty much guaranteed to lose quality, especially if the bitrate is below 192kbps. One thing to remember, though: If you convert to wma, ogg, or mp4, always choose a lower bitrate than the starting mp3. This is because these other formats sound better or equal at a lower bitrate to an mp3 at a higher bitrate.

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

how low would you go if you converted from mp3 to a lower bitrate?
          E.G. : If you started with a LAME 3.96.1 encoded mp3 at 192 kbps , and you wanted to convert to m4a, would you convert to m4a at 160 kbps or 128 kbps?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
            how low would you go if you converted from mp3 to a lower bitrate?
            E.G. : If you started with a LAME 3.96.1 encoded mp3 at 192 kbps , and you wanted to convert to m4a, would you convert to m4a at 160 kbps or 128 kbps?
            I'd just go one step lower (i.e. in this example to 160kbps) to ensure that I don't lose more quality then is already being lost in converting from one lossy format to another.

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

ah ok . I'll bear that in mind. thanks Lieutenant.

Comment

Working...

]]>