title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Conversion to files to 5.1

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yesheadjon
    • Mar 2005

Conversion to files to 5.1

Can anyone tell me (in non-technical terms please!!!) what you get from taking a standard stereo WAV file and converting it to 5.1 WAV in the music converter program. To clarify, does it just duplicate the right and left front channels to the back right and left channels or does it attempt to decode the stereo image in some way?

Just interested as the file it creates is much bigger than the original.

Any help would be much appreciated
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Re: Conversion to files to 5.1

i have 5.1 speakers, but I can't plug them into my computer because they're too "high-tech.", so I can't exactly give you good answer.

I'm assuming that no sound is duplicated to the rear channels, although I may be wrong. Watch this thread for further replies.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

The current version (if you convert to Wave 6 channel) - it will duplicate the left right channels in the other channels.

I am working on a research project where one day dbpoweramp will have user definable settings for converting from and too certain channels (for example going to 5.1 you would want to have part of the stereo in the rear speakers, not all). The is quite a long way away from fruitfullness - perhaps dmc R12 if I am lucky.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• neilthecellist
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2004

Spoon check out the NAD L70 DVD-Receiver, in a hi-fi electronics store near you. It uses a technology called "EARS" that pulls only certain data out of the front left/right channels and re-routes them to the back to create a surround effect without generating fake ambient noises. Really, you should check it out. I have the NAD L70 at home, and I must say ~ It's AWESOME.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
          Spoon check out the NAD L70 DVD-Receiver, in a hi-fi electronics store near you. It uses a technology called "EARS" that pulls only certain data out of the front left/right channels and re-routes them to the back to create a surround effect without generating fake ambient noises. Really, you should check it out. I have the NAD L70 at home, and I must say ~ It's AWESOME.
          You may have the device, but do you have details of programming for that? No. I'm sure Spoon knows what needs to be achieved at the end, the catch is to make it happen through programming.

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

hm i guess you have a point. EARS doesn't help at all, it's something built into NAD hardware...... :(

It's all programming, like you said Christina.

Comment

Working...

]]>