title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Compatibility Issue? 16 vs 24 Bit?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CircuitBoy
    • Mar 2005

Compatibility Issue? 16 vs 24 Bit?

Hey.... can anyone offer suggestions or resolve my problem?

dBpowerAMP has ALWAYS been my favorite conversion & ripping tool but I am now having huge issues using the software. I have the latest version installed, my codecs are in place & I even reinstalled them, and I have the Power Pack. My OS is Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, my processor is an AMD Athlon XP, & I have a gig of RAM. I fear that my issue lies with my new Creative Live 24 bit Sound Card.

When attempting any file conversion, dBpowerAMP starts the process as always; however, a new additional step is attempted to bring my 16 bit mp3's up to 24 bit. I am guessing that none of the codecs are written to handle this change as it consistently fails. I have searched for a setting to change as I am not interested in making my files 24 bit, but I have not found one.

Can anyone help? I really LOVE my dBpowerAMP.... more than the Audio Card, so... if I must, that card can go!
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: Compatibility Issue? 16 vs 24 Bit?

Is there a DSP that converts 16bit to 24bit?

Wayne

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Wayne
      Is there a DSP that converts 16bit to 24bit?

Wayne
      Yes there is a DSP that makes a file 24-bit, but LAME can only read 16-bit mp3s.

Also, your Creative card should be able to play 16-bit files just fine. I have a few friends that have 24-bit Creative cards and they can all play 16-bit files just fine.

Comment

• adaywayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by LtData
        Yes there is a DSP that makes a file 24-bit, but LAME can only read 16-bit mp3s.

Also, your Creative card should be able to play 16-bit files just fine. I have a few friends that have 24-bit Creative cards and they can all play 16-bit files just fine.
        I have a 24-bit Audigy 2 card (some claim this card does not have true 24-bit A/D conversion) and have no problems. The following article sheds some light on the subject.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

The mp3 lame encoder can only accept data in 16 bits, and if your original source of the audio was an audio cd (also 16 bits) there is no point in trying for 24 bits. A 24 bit sound card when playing a 16 bit audio file will shuffle up the bits so that you are still using the low noise capability of a 24 bit sound card.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• CircuitBoy
            • Mar 2005

Thank you for all the advice.... but perhaps I was not clear on my issue. I do not want to convert the bit to 24 or 16, that is not my goal but is my issue. I am not able to convert from .wav or .mp3 to any format because dBpowerAMP is trying to do a conversion to 24 bit as part of the process, so every conversion attempted fails. I love my sound card, it is great for 16 bit files.... but I LOVE my dBpowerAMP more.... and would like to be able to do basic conversions. So I am looking to adjust whatever setting, plugin, or codec that I either installed erroneously or is now active, and remove the attempt to convert to 24 bit that my powerAMP is trying to perform as I think that is what is causing all conversion attempts to fail.

Hopefully, that explains my situation better? I am not concerned about making any file 24 bit, but my powerAMP is trying to and thus failing... so what change is necessary to dB to ignore the 16 / 24 bit part of the conversion?

Comment

• Wayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Aug 2002

Have you checked that you are not running the 24 bit conversion DSP as part of your conversion process? It's found on the Powerpack DSP option.

Wayne

Comment

Working...

]]>