title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Memory leak?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpgirard

Memory leak?

I sometimes convert 40 or 50 MP3 files to WAV format, one after the other, and I've noticed that as I do this my system resources (as shown by the Windows Resource Meter) steadily decline until I eventually get message telling me that system resources are dangerously low.

I've tested this without anything but dBPower Amp running. Has anyone else seen this? Is there an update that fixes it?

Jim Girard
  • totalXSive
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2002

If it's any help, the Cacheman utility from http://www.outertech.com/ may be able to recover resources that haven't been released due to memory leaks. I use it on Windows XP - it's very good, and certainly speeds things up a bit.

Comment

• jpgirard
      • Aug 2002

Neil:

Thanks for the response. As it happens, I'm already using Cacheman, which is why this behavior surprised me when I noticed it.

If no one else has had this problem, perhaps it's some combination of dBPowerAmp and other programs I'm using to work with MP3s. The other program I use most often is MP3 Tag Studio.

Also, I've noticed that it only happens when I convert one song at a time. If I convert 30 songs at the same time, there's no apparent leak. It's just that that takes so long I don't like to have to wait for it.

Jim

Comment

• totalXSive
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Apr 2002

Hopefully Spoon will look into this when he gets back from his travels. In the meantime, I guess you'll just have to keep recovering the lost memory via Cacheman.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

I will look into it, might take a week or two.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Which operating system are you noticing this on?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jpgirard
              • Aug 2002

Win98SE, fully updated.

I seems to be more pronounced when I'm playing other music on WinAmp at the same time that I'm using dBPowerAmp to convert songs from MP3 to WAV. That is, I notice the resources declining more quickly in that case.

Jim G

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

I only have XP - and it cleans everything up on exit, I have looked but cannot track down what it might be.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>