title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

can i un-encrypt a file?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claytonious
    • Mar 2005

can i un-encrypt a file?

I recently ripped some tracks to .wma with windows media player, but when i try to convert the file with dMC to mp3 (lame), i get the error

"The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Music\Allen Hood\Onething\01 Onething.wma' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode."

do you know what i can do to fix it? ~ Clayton
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: can i un-encrypt a file?

Originally posted by Claytonious
    I recently ripped some tracks to .wma with windows media player, but when i try to convert the file with dMC to mp3 (lame), i get the error

"The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Music\Allen Hood\Onething\01 Onething.wma' is encrypted which dMC is not able to decode."

do you know what i can do to fix it? ~ Clayton
    Answered many other times in the forum: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7196

Comment

• Claytonious
      • Mar 2005

okay, thanks. the CD i ripped is not copyrighted, so i'm wondering why it's encrypted. I'm going to try and remove the song, and rip it again, seeing if i can rip it in a different form. but i just thought dMC would have taken care of it...

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Dec 2004

It was probably Copy-Protected because you didn't check the settings in Windows Media Player if that's where you ripped from. The default settings are to rip to Copy-Protected WMA @ 128kbps.

Edit:If you're using Windows Media Player 10 then you can also rip to MP3 at pretty much any bitrate your heart desires, and I dont think MS WMP uses copy protection when you do that.
        Last edited by iTunesIsEvil; March 01, 2005, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Claytonious
          okay, thanks. the CD i ripped is not copyrighted, so i'm wondering why it's encrypted. I'm going to try and remove the song, and rip it again, seeing if i can rip it in a different form. but i just thought dMC would have taken care of it...
          Missed the part about you using WMP to rip the song. You probably have WMP set to copy-protect the songs, as iTunesIsEvil mentioned. Also, why not just use CDGrab to rip the CD?

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

where do you get CDGrab? And is it any better than other programs?

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Cdgrab.exe is the actual name of the dMC Audio Cd Input program :D

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                Cdgrab.exe is the actual name of the dMC Audio Cd Input program :D
                Yea, that. Guess Neil never notices the name of the .exe that launches. Besides, "dMC Audio CD Input" takes too long to type.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

OMG i feel like a total noob. WAH!

Comment

Working...

]]>