title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Skipping on CD

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Skipping on CD

This is, I think, unrelated to dbPowerAmp, but I'm hoping there are some CD writing experts out there that can answer my question...

I am copying my tapes over to .ape files, then to .wav files (the sound seems better than if I copy directly to .wav) using dbPowerAmp and Nero burning Rom software to compile an audio CD. The compiled CDs sound fine when I play them on any CD-player except my portable Sony Walkman (with G-protection for minimizing skipping). When I play the compiled CDs on my portable Walkman, they have an annoying tendency to skip a lot to the point that they are not listenable (if that's a word!) Regular CDs play fine in my portable Walkman.

Any thoughts as to why this might be? Could it be my CD writer? It's moderately cheap... Or maybe my Walkman? Help!!
  • totalXSive
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Apr 2002

I'd say it was the walkman. On my old portable CD player (a cheap Goodmans player with no anti-shock) CDs that I had made myself skipped all of the time. Since then I have bought a Philips CD player that also plays CD-RWs (again no anti-shock), and it seems to play most of my recorded CDs fine (those that it plays badly are scratched anyway, I think).

Comment

• Unregistered

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure that's it, though, because my Sony portable player is only about 4 months old, and it was one of the top of the line players. If it can't play them, I'm not sure which player could.

Any other thoughts?

Comment

• totalXSive
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Apr 2002

Okay... which version of Nero Burning ROM are you using? If you have version 5.x, go to http://www.nero.com/ and download the latest update (updates are free), to see if that improves anything.

Comment

• Unregistered

Thanks again. I have downloaded an update and will be testing it for a bit.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with dbPowerAmp now. I found out the CD's I've written directly from CD using Nero play fine on my portable Walkman. It's only those CDs I've compiled from my tapes (that are in .wav format) using dbPowerAmp that are skipping.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

A wave file is such a simple format - if you play them on the computer and they sound Ok, I would have to say it is the CD Disc type - try a different make.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>