title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

NEWBIE QUESTION - M4A to lossless

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bodgery
    • Feb 2005

NEWBIE QUESTION - M4A to lossless

Hi there

tried a search and couldn't find the answer, so hopefully someone can help.

I've got a Roku Soundbridge. I've got the following files:

4365 x M4A (from iTunes as 128K)
    2262 x WMA lossless (transcoded with dBpowerAMP from Apple Lossless)
    1694 x MP3 (at mostly 128K)

I transcoded the Apple Lossless to WMA lossless as iTunes won't stream Apple Lossless to Roku (or anything else!). That bit has worked fine.

However, my Windows Media cannot see my M4A files. So, I want to transcode them as well. Ive read the FAQ on transcoding and understand the principle of losing quality again, which I don't want.

However, my question is this...if I transcode M4A 128K to WMA lossless, will I retain the same quality of the M4a files in lossless - i.e. be no worse off than currently, but with the more useful (to me) WMA format?

Cheers

Bodgery.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: NEWBIE QUESTION - M4A to lossless

Originally posted by bodgery
    However, my question is this...if I transcode M4A 128K to WMA lossless, will I retain the same quality of the M4a files in lossless - i.e. be no worse off than currently, but with the more useful (to me) WMA format?
    Transcoding to WMA lossless will just result in a file that is huge and gives no quality gain. Try making it a 160kbps WMA for about the same quality and a smaller file.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

A correct sized lossy copy is ok, for example -

converting a 128Kbps .m4a (aac) file to a high bitrate mp3 / wma / you possibly would be hard pressed to tell the two files apart (try on one file).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bodgery
        • Feb 2005

thanks to both of you for the quick reply. What would you say was "correctly sized" - gut feel for me says 192K, or should I go higher?

Comment

• Tomb
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jun 2003

You can always use a splitter to play your M4a files in Media Player

Comment

• adaywayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bodgery
            thanks to both of you for the quick reply. What would you say was "correctly sized" - gut feel for me says 192K, or should I go higher?
            I think LtData had it about right at 160Kbps, but you can try the 192Kbps if you like, but it will be larger and almost certainly not sound any better.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Dec 2004

I personally buy 90% of my music from the iTunes Music Store, and I've got to admit that I personally like going to MP3 @ 192kbps... I never thought I would say this but: I can hear a difference between 160 and 192. Or at least I think I can...

Anyway, long story short: 192kbps is good.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Originally posted by iTunesIsEvil
                I personally buy 90% of my music from the iTunes Music Store, and I've got to admit that I personally like going to MP3 @ 192kbps... I never thought I would say this but: I can hear a difference between 160 and 192. Or at least I think I can...

But a WMA file at the same bitrate as a mp3 file will sound better. A 192kbps mp3 is about the same as a 160kbps wma.

Comment

• bodgery
                  • Feb 2005

Thanks LtData and others - lots of useful info. I decided, as space is not too much of an issue for me (I've got a 1/2TB drive for music and dv), I'd convert to 192 WMA - it's still running now and will be for the next 12 hours!!!

I did a quick test on a few files and couldn't tell the difference between 160 and 192, but my thinking is find a good format, then add a bit for good luck, just in case some of my music benefits from the extra bit rate. I'll also be streaming to a Roku Soundbridge, hence all my new music is ripped in WMA lossless, and the reason I wanted the AAC files to sound as good as possible, without reripping.

Cheers

Bodgery.

Comment

• Tomb
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by LtData
                    But a WMA file at the same bitrate as a mp3 file will sound better. A 192kbps mp3 is about the same as a 160kbps wma.
                    Sorry but what do you base that on apart from your own hearing?

I doubt there have ever been any tests to see if that's true but please post a link if you know something I and most others don't. There were tests carried out to see if wma and mp3 pro at 64 k/bits equalled mp3 at 128 k/bits as those formats once claimed and were found to be false.

Comment

• adaywayne
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2004

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      One question, if I may. How do you manage to convert copy-protected iTunes files (aac format) to mp3?

EDIT Forget that question!!! One can download from iTunes in mp3 format. But can you actually download at 192Kbps bitrate?
                      Last edited by adaywayne; February 15, 2005, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• iTunesIsEvil
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by adaywayne
                        One can download from iTunes in mp3 format. But can you actually download at 192Kbps bitrate?
                        Actually, unless you've seen something in the iTMS that I havn't, then no, you cannot download in MP3 format.

AFAIK you only get them in M4P (protected MP4) format.

Originally posted by adaywayne
                        One question, if I may. How do you manage to convert copy-protected iTunes files (aac format) to mp3?
                        They can have their protection removed using an application that I've (partially) written called iRevolt. This removes the protection (the parts that hinder a conversion anyway) and the file is then in an M4A format (unprotected MP4). From this point I use dMC and the MP4 & AAC Decoder to go to MP3 in a bitrate of my choice.

iRevolt (1 EXE + 1 DLL) Can be found here....
                        iRevolt C# Source Files ONLY Can be found here...
                        iRevolt C# Project Folder ( -bin & -obj ) Can be found here...

This is a Windows app, and it requires the .NET Framework ver. 1.1

Questions, comments, concerns can be directed to development@gk-soft.net

Comment

• adaywayne
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2004

Actually, unless you've seen something in the iTMS that I havn't, then no, you cannot download in MP3 format.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          The iTunes website does indicate that one can download from their music store into mp3 format.....but I'm sure the flies are copy protected, just as they are if you download then in AAC format.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2004

speaking of audio quality, i swear i can hear a difference between a 192 kbps mp3 file and 320 kbps file....i swear! But when it comes to lossless files, I can't seem to tell a quality change...unless it's classical music...

is this the placebo effect?

back to the real subject at hand: is iRevolt legal?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2004

Neil .... lossless is lossless .... it's identical to the original uncompressed wave, no loss whatsoever.

If your'e hearing a difference it's your imagination working overtime :D

Comment

Working...

]]>