title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

converting mp3 11050hz to mp3 22050hz problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alferret
    • Feb 2005

converting mp3 11050hz to mp3 22050hz problem

I have some mp3 files that have been recorded @ 32kbps 11050hz but play slow on my creative zen xtra, I have been told this is due to them being recorded @ 11050hz and would need converting to at least 22050hz. So on downloading dBconverter it seems that the program will only allow a maximum file time lenght of 28min 30sec when converting to 32kbps and 22050hz.

The files themselves are for arguments sake 100mb with a run time of 5hrs but on converting they are around 30mb with the time lenght stated.

Will registering the product unlock this limit or does dBconverter not support files with long time lenghts?

TIA

Alan
    Last edited by alferret; February 06, 2005, 07:29 AM.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: converting mp3 11050hz to mp3 22050hz problem

Originally posted by alferret
    I have some mp3 files that have been recorded @ 32kbps 11050hz but play slow on my creative zen xtra, I have been told this is due to them being recorded @ 11050hz and would need converting to at least 22050hz. So on downloading dBconverter it seems that the program will only allow a maximum file time lenght of 28min 30sec when converting to 32kbps and 22050hz.

The files themselves are for arguments sake 100mb with a run time of 5hrs but on converting they are around 30mb with the time lenght stated.

Will registering the product unlock this limit or does dBconverter not support files with long time lenghts?

TIA

Alan
    Registering the PowerPack only allows you to continues using the features of PoawerPack (including the license to encode to .mp3) past the trial period.

The time length limitation is probably a file size limitation based on the memory available. Most conversions actually go through an internal conversion to uncompressed .wav before converting to the desired final type.

The file size for an uncompressed 2-channel stereo .wav with a duration of 5 hours would be around 3GB (it's about 10MB for 1 minute). Even for mono it's about 1.5GB. Your memory doubtfully is that large. The frequency doesn't much affect the file sizes.

If you are only able to do this conversion for a maximum of 28min30sec this means that the memory available is about 285MB (say under 300MB) for you.

Which sounds about right if your RAM is 512MB and you have a few programs running.

Comment

• alferret
      • Feb 2005

Cheers Christina for the info.

My system is 1gb pc3200, Win XPsp2 AMD64 3000+ etc. Looking at task manager it reports that I have about 700mb free ram. But I do have my Virtual mem set to 512mb, it may be that.... I'll give that a try and see what happens..............

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Cheers Christina for the info.

My system is 1gb pc3200, Win XPsp2 AMD64 3000+ etc. Looking at task manager it reports that I have about 700mb free ram. But I do have my Virtual mem set to 512mb, it may be that.... I'll give that a try and see what happens..............
        Aha. In the Windows help this is what it says about virtual memory:

The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system.
        Hopefully it will make a difference, though it probably won't help convert your whole file either.

Comment

• alferret
          • Feb 2005

I increased the swap file to 2.1gb and the file length\size still remains the same. I think its a limitation in the software. Still thanks for the input, Im gonna have to get an MP3 splitter to overcome this problem.

Comment

• adaywayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2004

I increased the swap file to 2.1gb and the file length\size still remains the same. I think its a limitation in the software. Still thanks for the input, Im gonna have to get an MP3 splitter to overcome this problem.
            I think you are correct. "Audicity" is a FREE program that will split mp3 files.

Download Audacity for free. A free multi-track audio editor and recorder. Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. Audacity is free software, developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

Audicity is good. I would highly recommend it. However, it is NOT a program for n00bs, if you ar3 on3, i wou1d no4 recommend 1t 2 u.

(If you don't understand l33t, there's no way you will know how to use Audicity)

Comment

• adaywayne
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                Audicity is good. I would highly recommend it. However, it is NOT a program for n00bs, if you ar3 on3, i wou1d no4 recommend 1t 2 u.

(If you don't understand l33t, there's no way you will know how to use Audicity)
                Ahem!.....would it be possible to post in English, Neil? And what is so difficult about Audacity (not Audicity)?

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

As with most open source programs, they don't come with good help files that help n00bs get started.

Take Virtual Dub: When I got introduced to it on http://www.sourceforge.net, I was like, "Wtf is this?" It was extremely hard to use. Right clicking on buttons, expecting to hit "What's this" didn't do anything. Help files weren't availible. I had to post a thread on this forum asking for help regarding VirtualDub.

The same thing applies to Audacity. It's an extremely difficult program to use... I stil haven't mastered all the features yet.

Comment

Working...

]]>