title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MMC and 8000+ tracks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MEmerton
    • Dec 2004

MMC and 8000+ tracks

Hi,

I have a problem with the My Music Collection

I have our music stored on our Server.. and after using www.allofmp3.com to download .ogg files, I have managed to clock up a fair total (8000+ / 3 continuous weeks)

The collection file is stored on the server.

it appears that since my collection has grown to roughly this size, it starts 'forgetting' to load in the entire collection file upon a computer restart..but only sometimes.

When it does, it saves only the corrupted version, back to the original file

This can get very annoying as this list takes a fair while to re-add them from across our network.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Once this has been sorted out, I am going to share this file under a read only share to all users of the network (IE my mum and my PC, my laptop, my dad's laptop)

Cheers in advance
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: MMC and 8000+ tracks

Make sure your collection is saved in a place MMC is able to write to.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• MEmerton
      • Dec 2004

Hi Spoon.

The colletion File is on our server, and is accessed by one of two user accounts.

The first is Admnistrator: This has full access to all files on our server
      The Second is Music: I created this so people can play music files and not accidentally delete them

I am having this problem with the Admiin account..so it has full access
      On the other computers, where read only access is availible, there is no problem.

Could it be possible to have an option to make the MMC application Read only?..as this would enable me to do away with the User account and thus help to narrow down this problem.

Saying this, I have now used this application for a couple of years...and this is only a small problem, in an otherwise awsome application for the size.

Comment

• Razgo
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

there could be corrupted music files invlolved as well. have you also run a "find all missing music" on your .mcc files?

i have an 8000.00 .mcc test collection i use as they all .wav music sample/loop files. i test these across my home wi-fi network.

via windows explorer you could just right click over the folders you want read only and click the shared options to set the "read only" option for that folder. that should work? well it does for me.

you coulds also create 2 .mcc files for the one collection. example:

1. music1.mcc
        2. music2.mcc

and when music1.mcc becomes corrupted do a file comparison to see if you can pick up on where the problem might be.
        Last edited by Spoons; January 27, 2005, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• MEmerton
          • Dec 2004

Cheers, Im glad to know im not the only person with 8000 tracks lol

its got to 9000 now

I will put your 2 collection idea into practice, I will hopefully come back with some good results!

Cheers

Comment

• Razgo
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

well i did some tests and you are correct.

i loaded my 7,733 music files totalling 4.77meg for the .mcc file
            i loaded the collection today and there were only 4,638 files totalling 2.88 meg for the .mcc file.

so there you have it.

why? i dunno , will need spoons input on this one and others to test results as well.

Comment

• MEmerton
              • Dec 2004

ah shame.... i was hoping it was my server messing things up..

Spoon, can have a copy of both copies full and half version of the MCC file if you wish..although it might be a while to upload

Comment

• MEmerton
                • Dec 2004

oh i have just rememberd:

When the file is corrupted and search for new tracks is on 5 mins

It goes mad and only brings in 25 to 50 tracks per time
                but then goes into a loop and i end up with a window focus hogging application which uses all my cpu power..and being an amd athlon 3000 XP..thats a lot of processing cycles!

Comment

• OldCoder
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Sep 2003

The problem you are encountering is due to too *few* tracks.

My MMC was behaving erratically too until I crossed the 10,000 track level.

Now I'm up to 12,070, and it couldn't be better!

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

i re did my mcc collection yesterday and now just loaded it and all files accounted for.

so it is some sort of intermittent problem somewhere.

another observation is when using the "new track lookout" option it adds groups of files at a time. like it will add 182 files then finish, then start again and add 302 files hten finins, then add 635 files, etc....

this is perhaps due to lag between external drive and local drive?
                    Last edited by Spoons; January 29, 2005, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• MEmerton
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by OldCoder
                      The problem you are encountering is due to too *few* tracks.

My MMC was behaving erratically too until I crossed the 10,000 track level.

Now I'm up to 12,070, and it couldn't be better!
                      Ah!

wel i had beeter continue ripping, and dowloading then ;@)

Comment

• Razgo
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

oldcoder, is your collection on an external USB drive? does "locking" the collection make any difference? i have to test that too yet.

Comment

• OldCoder
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2003

Razgo,

Yes and no - I maintain my collection on internal hard drives, and then back it up to external drives. So I never "register" my external drives with MMC.

Aside from that, I must apologize for my silliness - I just couldn't resist.

I have not had any trouble, although my habits may contribute to that. I *never* add tracks as I rip them, I simply rip to a folder structure that I am comfortable with, and then when I am done ripping for the day, I add the topmost levels on each hard drive to MMC.

I have found this to be easier, smoother, and faster than any other technique, with my average rip speed around 27x (without rip to ram, which is actually slower on my machine).

Comment

• Razgo
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

is it possible for you to test one of your external drives with MMC? as i am suspecting it just maybe some lag issue where it doesnt load the whole collection.

Comment

• MEmerton
                              • Dec 2004

Hi guys,

Well i have now broken that barrier..and guess what... its working perfectly!

This is such a weird one.

mind you when I attempted to re-arrange my collection..it kept crashing..but this was due to a lack of space on my C: drive

Comment

Working...

]]>