title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

iTunes, FACC encode plays fine, slow stream

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billT
    • Jan 2005

iTunes, FACC encode plays fine, slow stream

Hi All,
    I'm new to the Forum, so please repost this as is appropriate.

My FACC encoded library plays perfectly on my iPod and on my computer through iTunes 4.7.? on windowsXP, but when iTunes streams I get very slow response times (30 second gaps between songs). I think iTunes is re-converting my FACC to something else prior to streaming, but what do I know? iTunes natively encoded AAC files (bigger than FACC files and less usefull on my iPod) seem to stream quickly, as do MP3 encode files.

Has anybody encountered this behavior? Could the tagging fields be missing something to clue iTune's stream function to just send the file as-is? Any plug-in stuff available?

This probably isn't a dbPowerAmp issue but rather an iTunes issue, but any help in not re-ripping my library would be appreciated.
    thanks, billT :cry:
    Last edited by billT; January 25, 2005, 06:47 PM.
  • billT
    • Jan 2005

Re: iTunes, FACC encode plays fine, slow stream

This is weird talking to myself, but I received some information from the Roku forum that is pretty interesting:
    -----------------------------
    !/ RokuMike sez:

I think I know what this is.

There's an "atom" of data in an AAC file which is basically some meta-information about the track. It can come at the beginning of a file, or the end.

iTunes will only stream "fast start ready" AAC files, which means that the atom is at the front. We've seen another third-party encoder that put the atom at the end, with similar results to what you're seeing.

There's nothing we can do about this. On an iTunes->iTunes connection, such files won't play at all. For some reason, SoundBridge does play, just really delayed.

end RokuMike sez \!
    ---------------------------------------

This probably makes sense to somebody who designs converter/codecs, and doesn't sound like its too hard to fix (at least to a clueless user like me). Any possibility of getting this on the FACC encoder to-do list?
    Muchas Gracias,
    billT

Comment

• Droog
      • Feb 2006

Re: iTunes, FACC encode plays fine, slow stream

I have the same problem streaming files ripped by MusicShifter to my Roku MusicBridge. Has anyone found a fix? I tried mp4creator60 -optimize to move the "atom" to the front for fast-start streaming, but that didn't appear to work either.

I'm disappointed Roku are not finding a fix more agressively...

Comment

Working...

]]>