title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Mpeg

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the editor
    • Jan 2005

Mpeg

Hi
    Downloading via IE seems to be saving MP3 files as MPEG VIDEO which will play through RealPlayer (wash my mouth out).
    Which codec would I need to convert to MP3?
    Many Thanks
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Re: Mpeg

just thru IE? Ever tried Firefox? Have you tried renaming these mpeg files to .mp3? You don't need a codec to convert to mp3 thru dMC, by the way...

(I know I know, I should be studying for finals that I'm gonna have in 5 minutes, don't bug me ChristinaS)

Comment

• the editor
      • Jan 2005

Okay so it'll play through Audio Player but right clicking and convert says "Support for the audio type'.mpeg' might be obtained at 'Codec Central' etc. etc."
      Right clicking on the file in the folder doesn't give the option to convert.
      Haven't changed an extension on a file since the days of Windows 95!
      This new fangled Xp is confusing me. Tried right clicking in properties but no joy.
      Help!

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

You have to tell XP you want to view all extensions. Go to Folder Options, View uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" then click OK. Now, try renaming your file to .mp3.

Comment

• the editor
          • Jan 2005

Kerching!!!
          Sorted.
          Many Thanks.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by the editor
            Hi
            Downloading via IE seems to be saving MP3 files as MPEG VIDEO which will play through RealPlayer (wash my mouth out).
            Which codec would I need to convert to MP3?
            Many Thanks
            You know you have the option to save the file with the correct extension when downloading that way. Unless of course it is an .mpg or .mpeg file rather than an.mp3. Windows media player would play those as well if they have correct extensions,not just Real Player. But it won't play an .mpg which is really an .mp3, though Real would.

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

i see something weird here. WHy would IE save your music files as .mpeg ? What version of IE do you hae?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                i see something weird here. WHy would IE save your music files as .mpeg ? What version of IE do you hae?
                It's similar to what happens when you download by right clicking and using Save Target as for media file. The first proposed extension to save it under is .ram, not necessarily the actual extension of the file. You can change it in the Save Target as process, but you must pay attention to what is propsed before hitting ok. Probably .mpg is proposed by some kind of default (comes first in the alphabet???) , it is after all an mpeg layer 3 file.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

Hm....I have IE.....I've used it a lot before I switched to Firefox......the latest version of IE that I used was version 6. Were there bugs in audio downloads in that? I didn't experience any! :confused:

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                    Hm....I have IE.....I've used it a lot before I switched to Firefox......the latest version of IE that I used was version 6. Were there bugs in audio downloads in that? I didn't experience any! :confused:
                    Neil, you're not reading what I wrote. It's not a bug, you have to tell it what to save it as. You can save a file as anything.bug and that's ok. Except there may not be a program associated with that exension by default. If you associate something with it, fine, as long as the program understands the contents.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2004

No what I meant was that when I used IE to save , say an MP3, it would save automatically to the right extension. If I tried to save Ogg Vorbis music files, it would save it as .ogg, the correct extension for vorbis.......I don't understand how this "isn't" a bug. :confused:

Comment

Working...

]]>