title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Local Freedb Errors

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • max
    • Jan 2005

Local Freedb Errors

Hi Guys,
    In these days I have to rip 200 CD's and i don't want to stay always connected to the Internet (for the album track info) so i download and install the offline freedb Database (freedb-win-20050104.rar).
    With some CD i experience some problem in CD Recognition (i receive wrong artist/title information). For a test I try to go to the online database at freedb.freedb.org and..... the title from the Internet is ok.
    I try also with other rippers (like aud*o*r*b*er) and the behavior is the same.
    Is an offline database problem or the problem is in the search algorithm for the offline database?
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Local Freedb Errors

Originally posted by max
    Hi Guys,
    In these days I have to rip 200 CD's and i don't want to stay always connected to the Internet (for the album track info) so i download and install the offline freedb Database (freedb-win-20050104.rar).
    With some CD i experience some problem in CD Recognition (i receive wrong artist/title information). For a test I try to go to the online database at freedb.freedb.org and..... the title from the Internet is ok.
    I try also with other rippers (like aud*o*r*b*er) and the behavior is the same.
    Is an offline database problem or the problem is in the search algorithm for the offline database?
    Either the offline database isn't up to date, or indeed there may be a slightly different search algorithm.

Comment

• max
      • Jan 2005

i think the DB is the newest downloadable (http://ftp.freedb.org/pub/freedb/fre...n-20050104.rar) from the main site.
      The problem occurs more frequently if the disc has many entries in the database.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It might not be using the offline database (using old cds from cdplayer.ini), check the path is correct for offline freedb.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• max
          • Jan 2005

I checked out the path and it seems to be correct (the database is installed on another drive) ant for many cd's it was the first time that I play them.
          Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
          MAX

Comment

• Razgo
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

i now use my offline databse on my external USB drive. it's working ok so far.

do you still have the database archive? if so extract it again. or perhaps better to down load the update file from freedb and then runthe up dater for it. i am thinking your offline database is corrupted somewhere.

Comment

• ssuyk
              • Feb 2005

I am having similar problems with using an offline freeDB database.
              I have a utility for searching the database as well, and I can see that the CD I want track names for is in there.

But the total disc time is about 3 seconds different than what it says in the dbPowerAMP window.

I checked for three discs that dbPowerAMP couldn't name, and it was 3 seconds difference for them all.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

A nice feature would be to let the user search for an album name in the offline freedb, and use it to name the CD tracks.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Does the information otherwise agree? like artist, song?

Comment

• ssuyk
                  • Feb 2005

Yes - all the track names are right. I will have a closer look at the detail of what is in the freedb and what DbPowerAMP thinks the CD looks like - offsets/tracktimes etc. and post it here tomorrow.

Comment

• max
                    • Jan 2005

In my case the mistake is also on artist/song name. I found that the error happens if there are many entries in the database for that Disk. (Because other programs list me multiple entries).
                    If I go on-line I have only one (correct) match.
                    If you are interested i can upload somewhere an ISO image of the wrong Disk.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Both make sure that the Options Menu >> Standard CD Player emulation >> TAble of contents detection is unchecked.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• neilthecellist
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2004

How do you use the offline CD database (that bigarse RAR file in the first post)?

Comment

• Razgo
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

yes, you download it from here: http://www.freedb.org/modules.php?na...ticle&artid=12

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

and have to extract it.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• neilthecellist
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2004

i already extracted and I got these folders that are named by genre. How do I USE them exactly? Razgo, that link you gave me doesn't teach me how.

Comment

Working...

]]>