title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converter Crashing Issues

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kadoma
    • Jan 2005

Converter Crashing Issues

Hi,

Ok, I've been trying all sorts of solution suggested in this forum for hours now and I still can't find the solution that would solve my problem. :(

1st: I downloaded the converter for the sole purpose of converting AAC to Mp3 and I installed the unregistered version, but then someone said that I need the registered version, so I went ahead and bought a copy.
    Now, here's my problem. It keeps saying that "The CODEC required to compress 'G:\*.mp3 ' could not be opened." Someone suggested that I should uninstall everything along w/ deleting the registries (did that twice), I went ahead and did that rebooted and all, but still the same result.

2nd: After giving up on the mp3 conversion I decided I would take another route, so I went ahead and try converting the AAC to something else, and the other problem is the software keeps crashing, it's the infamous windows message that says something like, the thing has encoutered a problem and needs to close.

Note: I already installed that AAC codec.

Believe it or not, I've really been at this for hours now. :(
  • kadoma
    • Jan 2005

Re: Converter Crashing Issues

Oh yeah, any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm getting sooo annoyed at this now. >_<

Thanks
    Last edited by kadoma; January 21, 2005, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

First, when you mouse over your AAC file, what does it say are its properties? (i.e. bitrate, channels, frequency, etc.) Can you test convert your AAC file?

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Did you install the decoder codec for .mp4& AAC ? http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codecs/dBp...aac-decode.exe ?

Did you install dBpowerAMP music converter and the codecs to the same folder as proposed by the installer, c:\Program Files\Illustrate

Can you do a test conversion of those files?(select as a codec "test conversion (no write)"). This will extablish if the files are ok, not corrupt and not protected.

Comment

• kadoma
          • Jan 2005

Bitrate: 91 Kbps
          Channels: 6
          Frequency: 48000
          Type: ADTS

Nope, test converting crashes the software too. :(

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kadoma
            Bitrate: 91 Kbps
            Channels: 6
            Frequency: 48000
            Type: ADTS

Nope, test converting crashes the software too. :(
            You cannot convert 6 channels direclty to mp3, since that is only 2 channels.

Convert first to 16-bit, 44.1KHz, 2-channel stereo wav and then to .mp3.

But since the test conversion crashes, that means it really cannot read that file type.

Can you play it in a player on yuor pc?

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

I saw some reference to a patched version of Foobar2000 that can be used to decode that.

But you may want to look at Hymn in the FAQ - http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6258
              Last edited by ChristinaS; January 21, 2005, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• kadoma
                • Jan 2005

Yup, it plays ok on my PC (winamp).

I also tried converting it to wav first and the software still crashes.
                I used another program earlier to convert my AAC to wav and I used that wav this time on this AMP converter to make a wav to mp3 and it still crashes. (The wav file that I created from the other software past the test though, so I'm not really sure what's going on now.)
                Thanks for the replies.

Comment

• kadoma
                  • Jan 2005

Just so you know what I'm trying to do.

I got the AAC files from a matroska (.mkv) container.
                  What I did first was 'rip apart' the mkv files using 'mkv extract' then the result is 2 audio files that are in AAC and that's the one that I wish to convert to mp3.
                  Do you think that the AMP converter doesn't support that?

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kadoma
                    Yup, it plays ok on my PC (winamp).

I also tried converting it to wav first and the software still crashes.
                    I used another program earlier to convert my AAC to wav and I used that wav this time on this AMP converter to make a wav to mp3 and it still crashes. (The wav file that I created from the other software past the test though, so I'm not really sure what's going on now.)
                    Thanks for the replies.
                    You cannot convert a 6-channel 48000Hz wav to mp3. First convert it down to 2-channel 44100Hz wav and then to mp3.

Also the .wav has to be uncompressed PCM preferably. Other types may still give problems.

Comment

• kadoma
                      • Jan 2005

Thanks for the help. It works now. :D

Comment

• bolinboy
                        • Jan 2005

I for one, am very confused. I've been trying to convert a 5.1 aac file too, as I found a guide on the net, where a guy said he does exactly this using db Poweramp. When you try this with the converter, the option to choose convert to 5.1 wave is there, but the program is still unable to process the input 5.1 aac file. In my case it runs for 3 seconds then crashes, producing a single wav file.

So the big question here is:

What are the conversion capabilities of db poweramp? Is it not the Swiss Knife it claims to be? Some feedback would be very nice before I commit cash to buying this program. :(

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

There is usually a good explanation of why this proogram may crash or give undesired results.

Just like in a Swiss knife, you cannot use the fork and the knife at the same time :D So you have to use some creativity to achieve the desired results.

Comment

Working...

]]>