title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

The CODEC required could not be opened (in Linux).

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbliss
    • Jan 2005

The CODEC required could not be opened (in Linux).

Using dMC under wine in SuSE Linux, when I try to convert from any format to WMA, I get blank option fields under Codec and Settings (and the drop down menu if I click on the field is also blank). If I go ahead and click on Compress anyway, I get the message: The CODEC required to compress '...file...' could not be opened. I've tried reinstalling the WMA codec a couple of times, but always with the same result. Compressing a to/from WAV and MP3 seem to work fine.
    I tried granting full R/W/X permissions to the DLL, but with no effect.
    Suggestions?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: The CODEC required could not be opened (in Linux).

You probably cannot to convert to wma as the wma codecs are not installed on the system. I am unsure about ways to install the WMA codecs on a linux system.

Comment

• mbliss
      • Jan 2005

"I am unsure about ways to install the WMA codecs on a linux system."

Thanks for the reply. But using wine, the codec installer seems to run as expected, and the WMA dll appears alongside the MP3 and WAV dll's, so it's there, it just doesn't seem to work!

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by mbliss
        "I am unsure about ways to install the WMA codecs on a linux system."

Thanks for the reply. But using wine, the codec installer seems to run as expected, and the WMA dll appears alongside the MP3 and WAV dll's, so it's there, it just doesn't seem to work!
        Which codec did you install? wma 9 or 9.1? try the earlier ones.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

I meant the wma system codec, not the one for dMC. Do you have a wma file created elsewhere? If so, try to test-convert this file in dMC. If this also fails, then you are unable to read or write wma files.

Comment

• mbliss
            • Jan 2005

Thank you both -- I installed v7 and v8. Both at least give me appropriate options menus, but when I click on "Compress" with either, I get a progress bar for a couple of seconds, then the same error message.

Also, I can open a WMA file and convert it to MP3 without problem.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Also, I can open a WMA file and convert it to MP3 without problem.
              Apparently, for some reason, your missing the file(s) that allow you to convert TO wma but can decompress it just fine. It is probably related to the system codecs, but I don't know.

Comment

• mbliss
                • Jan 2005

As it turns out, the V2 codecs work just fine, so all is well. I was about to give up after trying the V8 and V7 codecs without success, but V2 works fine.

At this point I'm just listening to lectures recorded to CD that I'm transferring to a Lyra MP3 player that only plays MP3's converted to MPX (or something like that), but it does play WMA files, and the V2 WMA files seem to be fine (if that makes any sense to you). I don't know if I'll be losing any quality when I do music files with the V2 codecs, but for now it's great!

For future reference, this is on SuSE 9.1 with KDE 3.2 and the most recently released version of wine. Many thanks for a great product!!!

Comment

Working...

]]>